Author Topic: Oil Pan Ident/Date Code Stamping?  (Read 2432 times)

COPOZ/28

• View Profile
Oil Pan Ident/Date Code Stamping?
« on: April 04, 2020, 11:24:15 PM »
While in the process of refreshing the 302, I stripped the paint off the oil pan and discovered these characters - 2252W, located on the underside of the pan, about 2" back from the front face of the pan.  Does anyone know what this code refers to? 
Chuck B.
Ice cream run in our '69 Z/28 on Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak.
Daytona Yellow, NOR 05E, X33, M22, 4.88/9511CB.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Pan Ident/Date Code Stamping?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:10:40 AM »
Never noticed it on my '68 MO - but never had all of the paint completely off of it either.. 
Jerry's 'Definitive' book doesn't mention any pan stamping or in fact even list a GM part number for those pans in his book listing either and if one was normally there I'm sure he would have known and noted it - so I highly doubt it is a GM stamp of any kind.
Maybe a rebuilder or machine shop ID of some sort?

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:51:18 AM »
Not seen one of those before, but then again, haven't gone looking. Digit style and spacing reminds me of the numbers seen stamped on timing covers.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

COPOZ/28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
There is a possibility this number/letter stamping could possibly be the last 4 digits of the base (before any of the internal baffles are spot welded into it) oil pan stamping part number, along with the change letter of the engineering drawing in effect at the time it was stamped.  If this is correct, then the number/letter combo has no relevance to indicating it is a 302 pan as opposed to any generic small block pan without the internal baffles.
Chuck B.

COPOZ/28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 11:18:20 PM »
I stripped the paint off the timing cover today and found an obvious month/year date code: 4  69 (see pic's) which seems to make sense for my V0513DZ POP Engine Code.  I'm a bit surprised that the timing cover is date stamped but the oil pan is not.  There is a possibility that my oil pan is not original to the car as I know the 1st owner installed a deeper sump oil pan in 1970.  What I can't recall is whether he had the original oil pan modified for a deeper sump, or he bought a new 'ready-made' deep sump pan.  I seem to recall the deeper oil pan was on the engine when I bought the car in '79.  What I don't recall is whether or not I bought a new, correct replacement 302 pan or he included the original pan (if he had it) at the time of the car's transfer to me.

Have others found a month/year date code on their timing cover and/or oil pan?
Chuck B.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »
A code is common on the timing cover, but the format varies.
Kurt S
CRG