Author Topic: What is meant by N44 versus Quick ratio  (Read 14662 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is meant by N44 versus Quick ratio
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2020, 01:04:08 PM »
Z/28 equipment included 'quick-ratio' steering. N44 was an optional, faster ratio than standard equipment for the application.

If it is not listed on factory documentation, a Z/28 is not considered an N44 car.
Learning more and more about less and less...

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:02 PM »
William,

Appreciate it and thank you so much, and to everyone else who contributed, I have learned a ton about an issue that, at least to me, was very convoluted and confusing.   Now to decide if I want to install the N44 gear or put it in a display case as an interesting piece of Camaro history  ;D

Regards,
Jerry

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 03:41:10 PM »
Great information everyone. Thanks.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »
Been discussing N44 with Winvoices Paul, who has production #s through Sept '69. Looks like only 17% of N44 installations were for Z/28.
Learning more and more about less and less...

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
William,

So if you go with that percentage though the end of production, that would roughly come out to about 360-370 Z/28s for 1969 ( total RPO N44s - 2161 x .17).  And from what I've been reading it was not fun to drive so I wonder how many ended up in a ditch. 

On a side note, have you, or anyone else, ever seen that part I have - 5678504 (or equivalent if part number was later updated)?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:52:03 PM by jk1969z28 »

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »
Hey jk1969z28,

I wonder what that steering gear is worth.....??? 

I would think that since not many were bought, it would be worth a pretty penny...

blackss69

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:47 PM »
I have 2 1969 Camaros.  One is a SS 396/375 with N44 steering.  I have real window sticker to verify.  I also have a SS 350/300 with N44 steering.  I purchased both of these cars new.  The steering bpxes had AN sticker paper sticker (standard box, with "fine sector").  They both have the long pitman arm and the short steering arms.  The SS 396 is a bear to parallel park even with stock F70-14 tires. 

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 11:30:21 PM »
blackss69, Would it be possible for you to post a pic of that window sticker? I’m sure a lot of us on here would like to see it.  Thanks
Rick
69 RS/Z28

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 11:34:23 PM »
blackss69,   Sweet, would you recommend putting that N44 gear in or leave it out?

David Pozzi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2020, 12:01:29 AM »
I just found this thread and will read it all before making any comments. My web page is an attempt to put down what I knew at the time, hoping somone would add more info and make it more correct.

David Pozzi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2020, 04:12:57 AM »
I think your box casting number is going to be very common for 1969. Probably used by all manual steering gears across GM that use that mounting which is most cars. The stamped number is probably a date code. PS boxes have the date code stamped on the aluminum top cover.
I've wondered about the 69 Z28 special fast ratio steering option. Don't have any good info on it other than what I've read in Magazines. I don't have a 69 Service manual so had to make do with info here and there. I need to look it over again and see if I can improve it. I was trying to come up with what combo of box ratio, pitman arm length and outer steering arm length to create what ratio but the charts I made are just my best guess.

Note the part number of the worm and nut. My guess is that is an older part number as most Camaro parts start with a 7. I think that part was created for an earlier Corvette doing road racing and it fits the Camaro boxes. I just sold a 67 Camaro SS with manual box and it had a very fast box in it. I'm having the new owner see how many turns it is lock to lock but I recall it was around 2.25 to 2.5! It would take some muscle to park it! Many standard manual Camaro boxes are 6 to 7 turns.

The pitman arms were forged with part numbers on them so they broached a large hole for a PS shaft, and a smaller hole for a Manual system. There were long and short pitman arms for both PS and manual but now I don't think you can find a long pitman arm for a manual box unless Rare Parts has one.

The Steering arm part numbers in the parts manual do not always match the forging numbers. Can be a couple of numbers off. I ordered a pair back in 1971 and got the wrong arm by ordering the forging number. One was OK. Arms ending in an odd number are Left had side. Parts ending in an even number are Right Hand side.

67's used the long idler arm. 68/69 used the short idler. I have not seen a long idler arm on a 68 or 69. I think they were around 5.25" long. Replacements by Moog and others are 5.5" long and I think they split the difference between the long and short idler and pitman arm lengths.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:56:26 AM by David Pozzi »

TODD

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2020, 04:36:31 AM »
I 've been following along and don't want to muddy the waters but how is the firebird different in that it uses a c shaped pitman arm?
How is that? I drove my uncles 69 Trans Am RAIV back in the day and it had extremely quick power steering?

David Pozzi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2020, 04:45:28 AM »
My '69 RS is nothing special, just a lowly plane jane, 210 hp base V8 Coupe with Powerglide and a 2.73:1 open rear end.  Great car to cruise around in and get the heads turning but not a performance ride to say the least. 

From Mr. Pozzi's website and other postings on this site:

1969 Variable Ratio Power Steering; RPO N40 with Quick Ratio Steering RPO N44:
•   2.06 turns lock to lock
•   Utilized short outer steering arms and long pitman arm
•   16.1:1 on center
•   12.4:1 off center
•   14.3:1 overall over all ratio

OUTER STEERING ARM
Short Arm (Approximate 5.25" length between center of spindle to center of tie rod hole)
•   Left Hand part and casting number 3954875
•   Right Hand part and casting number 3954876

PITMAN ARM:
The pitman arm used for the fast ratio (RPO N44) steering option is approximately 5.8” long.

IDLER ARM
The 1968-69 models used an idler arm which is approximately 5.25" long.

Back in Feb 2004 when I was restoring the front suspension, I came across a surprise.  Previously, on multiple occasions while out driving the car, I had noticed / verified that there is just a little over 2 turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock. 

During front suspension disassembly and restoration I verified that the pitman arm is approximately 5.8" long and that I had the SHORT OUTER STEERING ARMS.  Refer to the pictures.  The first two are the left hand side, the last two are the right hand side.

Previously William posted:  "2,161 [1969]Camaros were built with N44 special steering equipment....Perhaps half of N44 cars (1,080) were not Z-28." 

Well, my poor ol' ride, for whatever reason, appears to be one of the approximately 1,080 non-Z28 1969 Camaros produced with the N40/N44 combination.

Stay Safe,

Richard

Please verify outer arm length by measuring it from spindle centerline. Looking at your photos the arms look like long arms even though they have what should be short arm forging numbers. I haven't looked at steering arm photos for years so maybe I'm wrong but I would not rely 100% on just those forging numbers. There are long arms with "short" forging numbers.

David Pozzi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2020, 04:48:16 AM »
I 've been following along and don't want to muddy the waters but how is the firebird different in that it uses a c shaped pitman arm?
How is that? I drove my uncles 69 Trans Am RAIV back in the day and it had extremely quick power steering?
Firebird was pretty much the same as Camaro for 67/68 but in 69 it all changed. The center link has the joints, not the idler and pitman. So the Pitman, Idler, center link, are all different. As far as the steering arms, I don't know for sure, they look similar.
Here's a Firebird steering arm

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2020, 03:36:38 PM »
"Please verify outer arm length by measuring it from spindle centerline. Looking at your photos the arms look like long arms even though they have what should be short arm forging numbers. I haven't looked at steering arm photos for years so maybe I'm wrong but I would not rely 100% on just those forging numbers. There are long arms with "short" forging numbers."

I will verify the measurement sometime in the next few weeks when I get the car out of storage. 

Back in 2004, I verified the pitman arm and idler arm lengths but never bothered to verify the outer steering arm lengths because of the following statement from your website which is at the end of the "Steering Arm Part/Forging Numbers" section just prior to the "Pitman Arm" Section:

"Note: Outer steering arms forging numbers ARE the same as the part number."

The only other reference point I have is that steering wheel lock to lock is just over 2 turns.

Other question I would have is how would/could GM/Chevrolet have produced long outer steering arms with the wrong (short outer steering arm) casting/part number?

Richard

Richard Thomas
1969 RS