Author Topic: What is meant by N44 versus Quick ratio  (Read 14695 times)

blackss69

• View Profile
Re: What is meant by N44 versus Quick ratio
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »
Question was raised about N44 steering on SS 396.  It is very hard to steer even with F70-14 tires.  Parallel parking is hard.  On the 396 I would not want the quick steering box unless I had power steering. 

With a Z28 it would be fun.  Just don't get large tread width tires.   

I will attach window sticker in another post.  Having problems on size. 

blackss69

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2020, 04:10:33 PM »
Here is the window sticker on the SS 396.  It was purchased as a drag race car but was never modified.  Still a low mileage original car.     

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2020, 04:28:48 PM »
Thanks for the pic. Much appreciated. 👍
Rick
69 RS/Z28

jk1969z28

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2020, 04:39:08 PM »
blackss69,  Love that car!!!  One thing I've found to get a picture that is to large to a manageable size for posting is to pull it up on your screen then hit the SNIPPING tool save that file and it cuts the size without affecting quality.

Dave, thanks for checking in, I know your website is a point of reference for a lot of people.

David Pozzi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »
"Please verify outer arm length by measuring it from spindle centerline. Looking at your photos the arms look like long arms even though they have what should be short arm forging numbers. I haven't looked at steering arm photos for years so maybe I'm wrong but I would not rely 100% on just those forging numbers. There are long arms with "short" forging numbers."

I will verify the measurement sometime in the next few weeks when I get the car out of storage. 

Back in 2004, I verified the pitman arm and idler arm lengths but never bothered to verify the outer steering arm lengths because of the following statement from your website which is at the end of the "Steering Arm Part/Forging Numbers" section just prior to the "Pitman Arm" Section:

"Note: Outer steering arms forging numbers ARE the same as the part number."

The only other reference point I have is that steering wheel lock to lock is just over 2 turns.

Other question I would have is how would/could GM/Chevrolet have produced long outer steering arms with the wrong (short outer steering arm) casting/part number?

Richard

I have matched most if not all the part numbers for arms on my page to the factory parts manual so the forging numbers DO match the parts book but I've gotten about two emails, one from a guy who bought arms with those numbers off an ebay seller and when recieved, they were not short arms.
The old story of me not getting the correct part for one arm based on forging numbers could have been the Z/28 arm number was misread by me. I did not bring the actual arm into the dealer, I just copied the numbers. By the way, that was a power steering Camaro.
My buddy checked the 67 Camaro manual steering lock to lock. It's 3.5 turns which is pretty fast for a manual steer Camaro. It's an SS350 4 speed no Air Conditioning and drum brakes.