Author Topic: Introducing.... The Prospector  (Read 7469 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Introducing.... The Prospector
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 11:05:55 PM »
Current pics will definitely tell a story. sounds good
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 11:35:58 PM »

I am NOT trying to make an SS clone. I am basically wanting to replicate a car that someone swapped a big block in back in the day. I know everyone has their own opinion. I’ll continue to share the updates on the project. Feel free to contact me about original pieces.

IMHO, the world does not need another gold on gold 327 210/PG Camaro so make it the way you like.

It's and early car and a LOS car which is uncommon,  so make note of anything interesting as you modify it. CRG has a few open research projects, maybe you can help.

As you go forward, you may want to share and gather information with other Camaro websites about the modifications as this site is concentrated on originality. There is no "Day 2" or "pro touring" forum, only a "mild modifications' one.

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »
Stay tuned. I’ve been collecting parts for over a year and already started the restoration so no one tell me to leave it as is hahaha
[/quote]

I had to chuckle when I read that. It's your car do it your way. IMO in 20 years the focus on 1st Gens. will be the highly collectible Yenko's, Copo's and other RARE Camaro's. The others will just be old cars. My son (18) likes/wants my car, but he and his friend have no interest in the vehicles of my generation and the preceding generations. I could continue, but you get my point.   I'm off my soap box.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 01:52:37 AM »
All boils down what you want in your garage,lol.

I see your vision, and am digging it!
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 05:54:08 AM »
I think your approach to keeping all the original drive train and parts removed is smart. No doubt you want to get rid of all the surface rust you described. You want to be proud of your girl whether she's out and about or in your garage. So I agree, do what makes you happy. You've already stated that you plan to document things as you disassemble and rebuild. Only thing I can add, is document with pictures along with notes; and document even the smallest details even if it doesn't make sense at the time. After all, it's just the matter of using a digital camera and you only have one chance to do it. Things that you remove should be labeled or marked for later reference if needed and probably stored in specifically marked containers for ease of finding. The reason I mention this is because many folks start post asking what something is, because they didn't take this approach years ago and no longer remember. It happens. And it will continue to happen. You are at the stage to be way ahead of this situation. Good luck with your build and keep us posted along with updates and pictures. You know what you want. Just my 2 cents.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
In addition, highly reccommend picking up the 67 AIM.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
Thanks guys. I will get some more pictures up today. I’ve taken a lot of detail pictures along the way, especially of things like seam sealer and dum dum that cover certain bolts to prevent corrosion. Even have pictures of how the factory masked the door jam when they painted the Granada gold over the interior gold. The dash has three holes drilled in the passenger side so those must be welded and metal finished. There have definitely been some funny things I’ve noticed. For example the dash pad was installed with 2 speed nuts missing. The weatherstrip channel on the passenger side had three screws missing. I know this was done at the factory because the original tape was still in place over the screws.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »
 My 67 original dash pad was installed where a speedy nut was only on every other stud. The rest were untapped. I kept it that way when I restored the car.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
My 67 original dash pad was installed where a speedy nut was only on every other stud. The rest were untapped. I kept it that way when I restored the car.

Mike

I’m going to do the same

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 05:43:27 PM »
Some more pics

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »
The car is in the body shop. It will not be put on a rotisserie as the underside is very nice. Once the car is painted and frame removed, I’ll clean the underside

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
Metal finishing on passenger door

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
The gray primer is evidence of spotting in areas on the door. The 1/4s, roof, deck lid, hood, and parts of the fenders are original paints. The prior repair on the passenger door was solid bondo

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »
The tail panel has a bad crease. The left 1/4 has a bad dent. Note the protected original paint behind the fender. Will be very nice to match the color with this unmolested area

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 01:50:57 AM »
Haven’t posted in a while. Anyone who’s interested check out my build thread under the “Chevrolet” section on the Yenko.net site. Day 2 67 Camaro Restortion is the thread title.