Author Topic: Introducing.... The Prospector  (Read 7401 times)

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
Introducing.... The Prospector
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:34:00 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Chas (or Chuck)  ;) and I’m new to this forum but not new to this site.  I’ve gathered much information from this site over the years. THANKS! That said last year I acquired a pretty cool 1967 Camaro. The car is a Van Nuys built Granada Gold gold standard bucket seat interior console power glide 327/210. A couple things make this car unique. For starters the body by fisher build date is 09B and the body number is 932. The VIN is 124377L101310.

The car was purchased new at Stewart Chevrolet in Colma California (basically San Francisco). The original owner enjoyed the car for some years, repainted it Granada Gold, then passed it to his son who drove the car through the mid 70s. The car still has a parking pass from USF from 76. The car was then parked in 78. Time went on and the old man passed away and the son, yes the guy who drove it to college, decided to sell it. This was in 2018.

In early 2019 I was scouring the internet for a solid Camaro project. I didn’t want someone else’s project. I wanted a solid “survivor”.  One morning in February 2019 while looking through the San Francisco craigslist I found this car. I spoke to the owner for about an hour and purchased the car.... sight unseen. This was risky but didn’t have time to look at the car as I live like 8 hours from Frisco and the seller had three others calling on the car within a couple hours of posting.  Worst case I could easily get my money back if I decided to sell it but when I received the car I knew I wanted to keep it.

The car had 54xxx miles on it which I believe are true based on the condition of things like the pedals, body bushings (still have the factory tape), door hinges etc. Hardly any rust on this car at all!! When the son decided to sell the car he had to get it running. He had someone put a god awful silver gas tank in the car and chucked the original... probably along with the build sheet.  >:( I don’t have any other documents for the car other than a repair order from 1969... Irritating because I’m sure the old man saved the contract and POP.

By now you’re probably asking yourself why is this thread called the Prospector? I’m not keeping the car in it’s original state. It’s getting a full frame off restoration with a day 2 theme. Like all good vintage drag cars, they need a name. This car is gold on gold so what better name than the Prospector? The car will receive an already built Big Block Chevy with many Day 2 parts, an auto gear M22, and a 12 bolt with Lakewood traction bars.... and of course cragars.

Stay tuned. I’ve been collecting parts for over a year and already started the restoration so no one tell me to leave it as is hahaha :-X

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing.... The Prospector
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 04:19:05 AM »
Pics....

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 04:25:56 AM »
Motor...

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 04:26:43 AM »
Interior

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 04:28:17 AM »

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 04:30:07 AM »
All the interior panels are in this condition.

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 04:31:26 AM »
Sorry guys.... uploading pictures on here is a little difficult  :o

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 12:20:13 PM »
You can load more than one photo at a time, so long as the files aren't too large.  I noticed your images are not very large (horiz x vert), so you need a better compression tool.   Try 'Light Image Resizer', a great tool for preserving image size while reducing FILE size!   It's available FREE for personal use.

PS.  Your new '67 Camaro is TOO nice to screw up making a big block hot rod~   :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:30:30 PM by 69Z28-RS »
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 01:02:21 PM »
Sure seems a waste to ruin a good car making another hotrod.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 01:23:36 PM »
Sure seems a waste to ruin a good car making another hotrod.

Chuck, it's your car and you can do whatever you want, but I completely agree with Gary and Doug. There are very few totally original cars left to modify what's remaining. You can always pick up a non-original car to do that with. Especially since we at the CRG are ALWAYS looking for original cars to get data from. Yours is a perfect example. Kurt or Daniel will probably be contacting you asking for pictures of everything that has a number or date code on it!! Engine, transmission, rear axle, pumps, carpet, seat belts, etc...

Please re-think your plans for the car.

Ed

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 01:26:57 PM »
Thanks for the story on your car Chuck. Good luck with your build and keep us updated. (With Pics)
Rick
69 RS/Z28

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
Long run,wayyy cheaper and easier to find an old war horse..

Flip side, would be pretty cool to modify what you have, those 327s scream to the stratosphere, and can be pretty cheaply done right. Glide,,,dragracer's go to trans,,when built.
All the "born with" drive train.

In the process, everyone appreciates pics during disassembly, any inspection markings you may encounter, and numbers. Whatever your path, always entertaining watching a new build taking place👍

Also checkout the yenko site, threads dedicated to day2 builds with some good facebook group links.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I understand many of us are preservationists and purists. I share this feeling to a certain degree. I’m convinced the car is in such great shape because of its lack of performance. This car will look very period correct with what I plan on doing.... I’ve already invested waaaaayy too much in the car to change paths now.

That said I will retain the original drivetrain should it ever go back to stock. I have only decoded the engine. V0829MF. Yes the AIR pump is still there. The original rad and master cylinder are missing. Alternator is intact date 6 J7. The VIN stamping under the cowl is still intact. I’ve already stripped the car over the last month and took a lot of pictures.

This car will not be a typical hot rod you see at shows. All original nuts and bolts will be replated and reused where applicable. Most of the original parts will be restored and reused. I think most of you will enjoy it.

Janobyte I’m on the Yenko site too. Mostly trolling the classifieds. I have the same user name. Thanks

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
Hey Chuck,
Congrats on the purchase. Since the car is in really good shape as is, why not try to give a patina look of a day 2? Swap your Cragers on there get your 327 (or another 327) built and have a strip power glide built maybe with manual valve body and deeper pan, put your Lakewood bars on there and call it good...😉

That way you keep all the original patina and value of the car intact, but get all the power and pop and have a car that pays tribute to the day 2 cars of back then. No need to replate bolts and re-invent the wheel with such an original car. As mentioned you have a rare car in terms of condition. I would venture a guess that unrestored mostly original 1st gens are the hardest car to come across now. Try looking around the internet for another. You can find the rarest of the rare, ZL-1 for sale 67 Z/28, 69 COPO for sale , but the unrestored seem to be the most sought after now, and get snapped up quick.

Of course your car to do with as you please, but there is some wisdom here.

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Chuck_Burg

• 562-234-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 10:59:09 PM »
I will post more pictures of the condition of the paint, it’s not what you all are thinking. The car was stored under a tarp for several years. Moisture collected under it and had nowhere to go. It created surface rust all over the top surfaces of the car; header panel, hood, cowl, roof etc. Quite a few big dents and even drywall joint compound on the original header panel. The rear window leaked water and the previous owner tried sealing it with silicone. The gutter needs repaired on the passenger side where the rust hole is.

I thought about building a screamin small block but I already have one of those. I am sure the value of the car, at least to me, will be much higher after it’s restored. I know original cars are rare, that’s why I bought this one. Easier to restore and in my opinion will make for a better restoration. This car will still retain all its original sheet metal (minus the header panel, I sourced an NOS piece).

I am NOT trying to make an SS clone. I am basically wanting to replicate a car that someone swapped a big block in back in the day. I know everyone has their own opinion. I’ll continue to share the updates on the project. Feel free to contact me about original pieces.

anything