Author Topic: Grease for Hurst Shifter  (Read 3713 times)

COPOZ/28

• View Profile
Grease for Hurst Shifter
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »
Have my '69 Z's OEM Comp. Plus shifter disassembled and flushed clean of all grease -- and there was quite a bit of it present.  I left the pivot lever and springs assembled but did drive out the two roll pins to allow the plunger to be removed for cleaning/inspection.  Before re-assembling the shifter, I checked various sources to see if there was a recommended grease to use to pre-lube the components, including the Holley/Hurst website, but couldn't come up with anything definitive for the proper grease.  Given how much grease was still present after all these years, but only about 20,000 miles, it's obvious these shifters were well greased by Hurst when shipped to Norwood/LA.  My post-teardown inspection showed next to zero wear on all the lever plates, divider shims, pins, etc.  I'm reluctant to try some of the suggested lubes I came across in my search (such as dry film spray, wheel bearing grease, PAM -- yes, PAM!, etc).  Given the nature of the shifter mechanism, with the sliding of mating parts involved, I'm guessing a conventional, heavy bodied moly infused EP grease would fit the bill.  What have others used?  Thanks.
Chuck B.
Ice cream run in our '69 Z/28 on Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak.
Daytona Yellow, NOR 05E, X33, M22, 4.88/9511CB.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Grease for Hurst Shifter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:30:26 PM »
When I rebuild my shifters, I just use Valvoline red grease. The part number is VV614, and it's a high temperature, high pressure grease. Works great and when you cut yourself and bleed all over everything, no one will notice since it's already red!!! You can get it at most FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Stores) for under $10 bucks.

However, I doubt it would pass any judges inspection since the original grease wasn't red. I think the original stuff was white lithium, but I'm not positive.

Ed

COPOZ/28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »
Given the variety of greases/lubes I've come across in my recent research on thus topic without coming across a consistent recommendation, I contacted Scotty Brokaw of www.ShifterDoc.com and asked him for his recommendation.  Below is my email inquiry, followed by his reply.  Hope the information provided is useful to the community:

Customer Name: Chuck B
Customer Email:
Am trying to determine an appropriate grease to use in re-assembling my Hurst shifter (it is the OEM '69 Z28 Camaro Comp Plus shifter the car was born with).

Would a moly infused lithium grease such as Valvoline's Full Synthetic Moly Fortified Gray Grease, NLGI #2 be suitable for this application?

Thank you,
Chuck

Scott Brokaw <areracing@aol.com>
12:07 PM (4 hours ago)
to me

Good day, this is a total personal call-
We use grey moly grease, Wheel bearing grease in rebuilds, as well as ZEP Hi Performance Lithium / syn grease-BLUE
JUST DO NOT USE White Lithium or motor / gear oil-
So, yes your thought would be fine to use-

-Scotty

Chuck B.
Ice cream run in our '69 Z/28 on Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak.
Daytona Yellow, NOR 05E, X33, M22, 4.88/9511CB.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
Grease attracts all kinds of road grime.  Use Gibbs Brand lubricant.  It is amazing stuff.
Jon Mello
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 12:08:48 AM »
And speaking of REBUILDING HURST SHIFTERS!

Ed

crashent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »
In the video above I use Lucas oil products RED "N" TACKY grease to assemble all the shifter I re-build...

If you go to youtube there is another video taking the shifter apart...

Enjoy... Crash

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 01:06:12 PM »
I am surprised nobody remembers what Hurst sold for this purpose...."Shifty Doctor Grease".   Probably hard to find today but it is out there.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »
I am surprised nobody remembers what Hurst sold for this purpose...."Shifty Doctor Grease".

I remember it, but I never used it because it was too expensive. If I remember, back in the 60's and 70's it was around $15 or $20 bucks. I was a poor kid back then and had to get by with whatever I could find! Even today it's stupid money. For example, HERE'S A TUBE ON EBAY. Eight ounces for $80 plus shipping! Really???

However, anyone as old as I am probably remembers that back in the olden days, (yes, we had cars back then!), Hurst would rebuild your shifter for FREE if you brought it to a show, swap meet, a racing event, etc... If they were there, they would always have a few employees that would rebuild your shifter while you wandered around. I believe you can still get them rebuilt by Hurst, but it's FAR from free now.

Ed

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »
I am surprised nobody remembers what Hurst sold for this purpose...."Shifty Doctor Grease".

I remember it, but I never used it because it was too expensive. If I remember, back in the 60's and 70's it was around $15 or $20 bucks. I was a poor kid back then and had to get by with whatever I could find! Even today it's stupid money. For example, HERE'S A TUBE ON EBAY. Eight ounces for $80 plus shipping! Really???

However, anyone as old as I am probably remembers that back in the olden days, (yes, we had cars back then!), Hurst would rebuild your shifter for FREE if you brought it to a show, swap meet, a racing event, etc... If they were there, they would always have a few employees that would rebuild your shifter while you wandered around. I believe you can still get them rebuilt by Hurst, but it's FAR from free now.

Ed

I certainly remember the 'free rebuilds' by Hurst... :)    The only thingsthat seem to be 'free' today are viruses... 

PS.  More frequent 'cleaning/regreasing' of your shifter is probably more important than 'which grease you use'... just a thought!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
PS.  More frequent 'cleaning/regreasing' of your shifter is probably more important than 'which grease you use'... just a thought!

Agreed! We seem to only think about them when they stop working!

Ed