Author Topic: Will auctions eventually take place with no bidders at the auction?  (Read 2159 times)

ericisback

• View Profile
Does anyone think car auctions will continue, in the short term, if the bidders are all online or telephone, or will the auctions just continue to be postponed? I know the closest auctions had already been postponed, but how long can the auction houses continue to do that?!?!
67 Corvette 427 conv. -  https://bit.ly/2yykRW7
67 GTO 400 conv. - 68 Camaro 396 conv.
69 R-Code Mach 1 - 78 VW Beetle conv.

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Will auctions eventually take place with no bidders at the auction?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
With the supply side also drying up due to people staying at home, limited resources, etc. I'd think they get postponed.  Plus I expect people are in a hold pattern with major purchases now.  And although they have the phone bidders, there is likely a lot of value in having the bidding competition on the floor, to get the prices (and emotions) up.  But Bring A Trailer is all online, so what do I know.  Maybe they'll have guys and gals in protective clothing rolling a few cars across the block.  Doubt it would cover the event costs though.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »
I participated in an equipment auction this week that was online.  You could go look the 2 days before and the bid on a live auction. You do miss the excitement of being there
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:42:26 PM »
If it is not live may as well be Ebay
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 12:35:12 AM »
Kelley, "If it is not live may as well be Ebay" That's funny. I really don't see where going out at this time is very smart or important, especially for something such as going to a auction and such. Yea, you might get a better deal with less competition, but you might get something else to go along with it. Not to mention taking it home to your family, friends. This will more than likely drive the prices down in the foreseeable future. People will more than likely start prioritizing their spending for necessities instead of their wants, desires. Who knows, this might eventually flood the market with people wanting to cash in on getting rid of their rides, which will also drive the prices down. Many possibilities.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 01:34:51 AM »
I think Gooding and RM are already doing their latest auctions online only. Cars were signed up so they might as well see if a fish bites.