Author Topic: Asheville-Weaverville 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 Conv Pace Car NASCAR Fireball 300  (Read 1662 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
This great color picture shows the parade lap for the 1969 Fireball 300 NASCAR race that took place at Asheville-Weaverville Speedway in Weaverville, North Carolina on Sunday, May 4, 1969.  In it you can see three white Camaros, one full size white Chevrolet and one white Firebird ahead of the field.  Bobby Isaac won the 150 mile race in his 1969 Dodge Charger. 

The caption on the photo states, "WEAVERVILLE, NC - MAY 4, 1969: Bobby Isaac (No. 71) sits on the pole position for what would be the next-to-last NASCAR Cup race to be held at Asheville-Weaverville Speedway. Isaac, who would go on to win the event, is flanked by the Holman-Moody Ford of David Pearson (No. 17). Starting from the second row are Richard Petty (No. 43) and Big John Sears (No. 4)."

The picture can be found here: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/bobby-isaac-sits-on-the-pole-position-for-what-would-be-the-news-photo/109178484?adppopup=true
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:59:50 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
The 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible with the flags that is just ahead of the NASCAR field is not an Asheville-Weaverville pace car.  It is actually the Camaro used by the Darlington Motor Speedway.  It is lettered up for the Rebel 400 which would be run the following week on Saturday, May 10, 1969.  No other NASCAR 1969 Camaro had such a prominent dark colored horizontal stripe across the door.  (stay tuned for a future thread on the race this car paced)

While it is impossible for me to tell just which Camaro pace car the dark haired beauty queen is riding in at the front, photographed evidence from the second NASCAR race that the Asheville-Weaverville Speedway held in August just might prove that it was a Camaro lettered up for the Asheville-Weaverville Speedway iteslf.  (see second photo with a different beauty queen with blonde hair) 

Current NASCAR pace car owner Reuben just might be interested in this photo because the middle Camaro looks like it just might be the Bristol International Speedway Camaro Pace Car.  It is the car in front of the full size Chevrolet.

I'm not sure what race tracks the 1969 Firebird or the 1969 Chevrolet are from.  I have not run across any other photos of the cars and I can not make out what it says on their sides.

Information is so scarce on this race that I can not even find a souvenir event program for sale on ebay or a documented sale from the past at worthpoint.

Photos 1 & 3 are cropped versions of the photo in the first post. (Getty Images)
The second photo came from the Bryant McMurray Motorsports Photograph Collection: https://goldmine.uncc.edu/index/render/pid/motorsports:1
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd