Author Topic: Help with Identifying 1969 Hugger Orange SS 396 Poss. L78 Camaro with L89 option  (Read 9740 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
This car, 9N555742, has its original tag.
Kurt S
CRG

1969CAMAN

• View Profile
UPDATED ***Certified by Camaro expert Jerry MacNeish as being a true SS 396, born a 4 speed and has very rare COPO 4.56 posi rear. Also factory trim tag indicating hugger orange with white interior. He also indicated it is the original interior in excellent condition and has rust free original floors. Claimed 16,830 actual miles, marked as actual on title and the car supports it. EXTERIOR: Factory born hugger orange without a vinyl roof. Decked out with hockey stick stripe, spoilers, bumper gaurds and exterior trim package. It's show quality in my opinion. Exceptionally clean, straight body that fits nice. Older paint job that still has a glass finish. Jambs are clean and painted neatly. Stripe is painted on to correct dimensions. Tail panel is painted satin black, correct for an SS. All of the chrome and stainless trim is practically new looking. Excellent original glass, even the windshield is original which supports low miles. Weatherstrips and window seals were replaced. Sits nice, has restored rally wheels, BFG tires are excellent. INTERIOR: ''Excellent original interior''- Jerry MacNeish. This interior sure does support the claim to 16,830 miles, especially being white. No signs of abuse. Very good upholstery and door panels. Dash area is exceptional. Mint dash pad, the instrument bezels are excellent, the chrome outlines are shiney. Has factory Am radio, heater control panel is excellent. Still had matching cigarette lighter, glovebox liner is original. Has full set of factory gauges, tachometer and clock. Has original console and a deluxe woodgrain wheel. The dome light and light in the console work. The headliner, visors, rear deck area are excellent. ENGINE COMPARTMENT: Has restamped, vin # matched 396-375 hp motor with L-89 GM aluminum heads. The motor compartment was restored to factory appearance with a few upgrades. The GM aluminum intake, Holley carb, fuel lines and air cleaner look stock. The heads, valve covers and deep groove pulleys look stock. Upgraded MSD ignition, coated long tube headers and aluminum water pump. Has stock appearing GM hoses and clamps, correct 4 core radiator with goose neck. Everything is tidy, painted nice etc. Wiring is neat, washers are hooked up. Runs strong! TRUNK COMPARTMENT: Very clean metal trunk compartment. From what I can tell looking up in there, the quarter panels are original. It's been neatly spatter painted and there's a full rubber mat with matching tire cover. The spare is a new rally and BFG tire. Also has jack assembly. Weatherstrip might be original, it's a little tattered. Bottom of the trunk lid is painted nice. UNDERSIDE: ''Very good original floors, no rust'' Jerry MacNeish. Recent dual exhaust system with Stainless Magnaflow mufflers. New fuel system tank, sending unit, straps and lines. Brake system was rebuilt- disc in front, new stainless lines, new e-brake cables. The front was completely rebuilt and detailed in correct finishes. Rear suspension also looks new- bushings, leaf springs and shocks. Also upgraded with frame connectors and traction bars. Bottom of the motor has clean Chevy orange paint, high torque starter. The 4-speed Muncie was upgraded with an M-22 Auto Gear. New Hurst linkage. Rare high performance 4.56 posi rear code BW E, ''original to vehicle''- Jerry MacNeish. It is special ordered COPO (Central Office Production Order). You are buying a certified SS 396 born with a 4-speed, original COPO rear, factory Hugger orange with white interior. This much is certain. The low miles is claimed to be original and is supported by an original white interior in excellent condition. It also makes sense to have low miles with a 4.56 gear, it was probably 1/4 mile at a time! It can't be proven or disproven if it was born an L-78 375 hp but again the 4.56 gear would certainly make most sense to have been ordered with a 375 hp. If it was a proven L89 with 16,000 miles it would be well over $100,000.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Was COPO 9511 available without COPO 9560-61?
Or were any rear ratios deeper than 4.10 automatically a COPO 9511?
I had been under the assumption that the deeper ratio was available in a Z28 or a L78 at the time this car was built.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Charley

• View Profile
How could he possibly know the 4.56 rear was orig. to vehicle without docs ?

ZLP955

• View Profile
How could he possibly know the 4.56 rear was orig. to vehicle without docs ?
Many appraisal certificates state the same. Don't see how without a genuine PoP, correct era factory stamp does not confirm original to vehicle. Maybe it's because owners want to be able to show certification of the 'trifecta' - original block, transmission and rear end. But only 2 of the 3 have a partial VIN to allow confirmation.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

maroman

• View Profile
So, this is a 16,000 mile car with a repaint and a restamped engine? Is the engine date code correct? Rebuilt original engine that was decked and needed restamped?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

MO

• View Profile
None of the above information is based on facts. It's all speculation by people who have never reviewed/inspected the information or have viewed this car.

Wow!

Maxsg1973

• View Profile
I was asking if it was a real L89 car because of the board displayed with the vehicle when it is being shown. The authenticity of it being a 396 car was not much of a concern because Jerry said it was a SS 396.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
I must say, I’m confused! I am trying to follow along. In the pic in post #22, directly above ^, of the sign board, it says it has a BU , 3.73 rear. The comments of the new fella in the lengthy post, #16, says the JM report says it has a 4.56 BW? Are we discussing the same car?

To answer the question posed in the previous post as whether it is a true L89 car? Without ironclad proof documents...assume it is not. Nothing against this car, but when some unsubstantiated claim is made about a car, such as one like this one, to me, the whole car becomes suspect. I don’t want to pick cars apart, but if I were to see a sign board at a show and anything seemed incredulous about the claims, I tend to wonder what else is not right with said vehicle?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:40:04 PM by ko-lek-tor »
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Charley

• View Profile
"I, Jay Grams, take pride in personally writing the descriptions for virtually every car for about the last 30 years now. A significant amount of effort goes into fact checking. What I am offering is my professional impression of the vehicle. "
Same guy that tried to sell me a fake LS6 Chevelle convert years ago.

anything