Author Topic: are these blue stripe or blue tip push rods for a Z-28 motor ??  (Read 5677 times)

Emo1956

• View Profile
are these blue stripe or blue tip push rods for a Z-28 motor ??
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
Hi everyone ;are these what I think they are ? I remember seeing a set a very long time ago but not sure if these are what I remember. Thank you Emo

Emo1956

• View Profile
Re: are these blue stripe or blue tip push rods for a Z-28 motor ??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 12:06:12 AM »
I can't believe  that nobody has said anything !

Emo1956

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:23:31 AM »
Ok I did some digging and they are the blue tip pus rods for the 302 #3796243 Thanks everyone for looking

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
Some that viewed the thread might not have known and others may have not had time to reply.  Glad you found the info you were looking for but just be patient as someone would have eventually replied.   

Emo1956

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »
I was just surprised because of the knowledge that so many here have in the CRG. There was actually a thread I found on these pushrods and the 0 stamped rockers together. Almost impossible to find some of this stuff today. Thank you for responding . Emo

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
I was just surprised because of the knowledge that so many here have in the CRG. There was actually a thread I found on these pushrods and the 0 stamped rockers together. Almost impossible to find some of this stuff today. Thank you for responding . Emo
The best part, is you found the answer using your own skills and you are on your way to being part of that “so much knowledge” on this site. Congrats! As like the other reply, you would have gotten an answer. Somethings can be answered quite fast. Other times, like with parts, guys are highly certain, but not 100%. So they need to do as you did and verify before answering. Unlike other forums that will confuse with 10 different answers, if this had been replied to, you could be certain it was correct.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
The best part, is you found the answer using your own skills and you are on your way to being part of that “so much knowledge” on this site. Congrats! As like the other reply, you would have gotten an answer. Somethings can be answered quite fast. Other times, like with parts, guys are highly certain, but not 100%. So they need to do as you did and verify before answering. Unlike other forums that will confuse with 10 different answers, if this had been replied to, you could be certain it was correct.
That would be Facebook for sure :) 
Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Emo1956

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 05:45:19 PM »
OMG Facebook !!! I have to turn the computer off after reading some of statements they make there. I sell some parts there since Ebay started adding all the taxes but FB is a complete nightmare !!

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »
Honestly, everybody has been reading that 69 black copo chevelle barn find on the yenko site, lol.

Agree with all of the above. I am constantly bouncing back to old threads for reference, via search. Just this am: correct shroud to bracket upper fastener. Getting ready to boil some bolts. Go figure, the three I took off the bracket, some time ago. In a labled ziplock,,in a plastic container, on a shelf, are the same?? Damn gremlins stealing and rearranging things😠
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:16:23 PM »
Chevelle thread is something else. 

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 05:05:37 PM »
Just a question and sort of unrelated somewhat but...  are the '0' rockers from a 302 as mentioned here worth anything or are they of a composition or ratio tolerance that makes them in any way unique or valuable - other than just to someone looking to make a 302 completely 'original' looking with the '0' symbol..?   
I have a set - well 15/16th's of a set, that came out of a MO motor years ago (one got tweaked a bit when I stuck a valve and bent the pushrod and valve slightly - and rather than try and find a single rocker, I just replaced them all with Comp roller tipped versions at that point..
Just asking, as I ran into them while cleaning up in the jungle a bit a bit a week back and wasn't sure if they should get tossed out or kept for a reason..
Thanks - Randy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:13:42 PM by dutch »

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
Just a question and sort of unrelated somewhat but...  are the '0' rockers from a 302 as mentioned here worth anything or are they of a composition or ratio tolerance that makes them in any way unique or valuable - other than just to someone looking to make a 302 completely 'original' looking with the '0' symbol..?   
I have a set - well 15/16th's of a set, that came out of a MO motor years ago (one got tweaked a bit when I stuck a valve and bent the pushrod and valve slightly - and rather than try and find a single rocker, I just replaced them all with Comp roller tipped versions at that point..
Just asking, as I ran into them while cleaning up in the jungle a bit a bit a week back and wasn't sure if they should get tossed out or kept for a reason..
Thanks - Randy

Long slot "O" rockers are desirable if still serviceable.  Hope the balls were kept wired together with the original arms.  Fleabayers will buy them.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 03:22:46 AM »
Restorers like the O rockers as that is what came on the Z/28 and other solid lifter small blocks.   The slot is slighly longer than the slot in the hydraulic cammed 350.

I doubt a regular rocker would bind, but the longer slot provides some margin for error.   They later service replacement long slot rockers are identified with a V.   They are identical to the O rockers, but of course are not assembly line correct.   So, the pickiest of the picky will insist on the O rockers.  I have a few sets of them with the balls wire tied together, but have not looked at them in years.  While they do bring a premium, IMHO they are no better than a good set of aftermarket rockers.

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
since only one end of those pushrods have a hardened tip and the blue stripe shows wihich end is hardened and goes up to the rocker arm
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 05:32:40 PM »
since only one end of those pushrods have a hardened tip and the blue stripe shows wihich end is hardened and goes up to the rocker arm

Do you have some documentation for that ? I've got 2 sets that have been swapped end for end during their lives, due to wear on the rod shafts from the opening in the heads over time. I did my own the same way in the '70's during the first rebuild around '75, still no end wear problems visible (and certainly didn't affect oiling, they pump like miniature fire hoses).

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

anything