Author Topic: ZL-1 Stock Eliminator  (Read 10425 times)

JoeC

• View Profile
Re: ZL-1 Stock Eliminator
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 12:13:16 PM »
Another '69 raced by Shay Nichols, is supposed to be a Gibb/Harrell car but vintage photos show a white standard interior. The only ZL1 built with that interior is in near perfect original condition and was never raced.

Shay Nichols ZL1 may have had a white interior swapped in.  It can get very hot sitting in a drag car in a long staging lane in the summer.  My Camaro was an old drag car and had a white vinyl top put on for this reason.
You also see old drag car photos showing some with tinted windows of various colors which was another way to lower the interior temp in the hot sun.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
Ken Barnhart ran a ZL 1 engine , here is a quote from a story on his car..

"Curiously, as soon as the Camaro was in Barnhart's garage, the original aluminum 427 was removed. It was replaced with the duplicate, over-the-counter ZL-1 engine that is still found under the hood today. Except for an old-school Edelbrock Torker intake manifold and replacement 850-cfm carb, the engine is faithful to the original ZL-1.

The graphics and lettering that adorn the Camaro's bodywork were done in 1969 and haven't been touched since. The only paintwork that's been applied to the car's flanks occurred when the rear fender openings were slightly stretched to accommodate larger rubber.

Barnhart's reliable and potent combination made his Camaro the scourge of Super Stock racing for a couple of years. He captured the SS/B title at Indy in 1970, and was runner-up at the Nationals in 1971.

Barnhart slogged it out in Super Stock through the mid-'70s-recording a best e.t. of 9.92 at 134 mph-with a narrowed Dana rearend and 5.38 gears"

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 02:39:38 PM »
Next time you see it, check out the tire label on the drivers door-for E78 x 14 tires.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
I really enjoy reading these stories of the 69 ZL1 cars. It sure would be nice if someone would write a book about them and give the timeline, ownership racing or even non racing history on these vehicles from the start. I know it will have to end somewhere but with re bodies, engine transplants, etc. it sure would be a good read, at least 69 chapters worth!
Joe
69 Camaro

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »
Kurt S
CRG

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 12:27:01 AM »
You read http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml ?

I have read this section a number of times, very informative. There are however more stories/history associated with each one of these vehicles but I guess some of this information is private or cannot be counted on as being accurate considering the amount of time that has passed.
Joe
69 Camaro

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Perhaps you are familiar with what the SAAC has been able to do in maintaining the histories of Shelbys. That simply isn't possible with ZL1 Camaros. By the time the VINs were known, the cars were 12 years old. Back in the '60s, some states titled cars, some did not. In some states, cars were registered by county. Even when you could run a VIN nationwide, it wouldn't query those states. Some cars were raced from new, never titled or registered. Several others were stolen while on MSO. At least two left the country.

When the VINs became known, several people, myself included, started trying to locate the cars. Fortunately, many were found and saved from the normal ravages of time. Once the original engine was removed, often the cars' identity was lost and the owner had no idea of their cars' original configuration. As recently as a few years ago, a long-term owner of a '69 Camaro race car was very surprised to hear the good news.

I track the existing cars as best I can. Often, cars trade hands privately. Some ZL1 owners like to be active with their cars. I have found that most not only do not, they don't care to be blabbed about. So, I respect their privacy. Because of that, information often comes my way.

Searches today are virtually impossible for the average person so the history of the 20 unknown ZL1 Camaros is probably lost in time.
Learning more and more about less and less...

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »
Perhaps you are familiar with what the SAAC has been able to do in maintaining the histories of Shelbys. That simply isn't possible with ZL1 Camaros. By the time the VINs were known, the cars were 12 years old. Back in the '60s, some states titled cars, some did not. In some states, cars were registered by county. Even when you could run a VIN nationwide, it wouldn't query those states. Some cars were raced from new, never titled or registered. Several others were stolen while on MSO. At least two left the country.

When the VINs became known, several people, myself included, started trying to locate the cars. Fortunately, many were found and saved from the normal ravages of time. Once the original engine was removed, often the cars' identity was lost and the owner had no idea of their cars' original configuration. As recently as a few years ago, a long-term owner of a '69 Camaro race car was very surprised to hear the good news.

I track the existing cars as best I can. Often, cars trade hands privately. Some ZL1 owners like to be active with their cars. I have found that most not only do not, they don't care to be blabbed about. So, I respect their privacy. Because of that, information often comes my way.

Searches today are virtually impossible for the average person so the history of the 20 unknown ZL1 Camaros is probably lost in time.

William's comment is spot on. Im sure some cars have been in storage, and hidden from the public for better or worse. Im confident a few will appear someday. 'Rare' cars do get found eventually. Speaking of rare and of SAAC/Shelby's, remember the story of the Daytona Cobra that was hidden in a California garage for more than 40 years? Yes it was very rough, yet it sold for millions!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »

I am sure there are many of us who appreciate the effort that you have gone to track down these cars (including myself) and the baton will be passed along once you are no longer able to do so.
Joe
69 Camaro

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »
It would be interesting to put together a page (or ad to the one here) with more information and history on the 1969 ZL1 Camaros.

Some may be interested  to read about the real production cars and built up race cars and show cars including when and where they were used.
Many of the 1969 ZL1 Camaros are on auction sites and other sites so it is public information

There is a lot of info already on the internet but it would need to all be assembled 

The production ZL1 block was used for racing but was not very strong so Chevy made a better "Can Am" block. Some racing rules required the production block such as in Super Stock and SCCA road racing but other racing rules allowed the non production "Can Am" block such as NHRA Pro Stock.

Bill Jenkins , Dick Harrell, and others ran the production block in 1969 but also ran the "Can Am" block in 1970 and later

Ken Barnhart's ZL1 Camaro only ran the production block in Super Stock and bracket racing as far as I know

Don Yenko ran a ZL1 powered production block in a 1969 Camaro at Sebring in 1970

Bob Jane in Australia had two 1969 ZL-1 Camaros
One was used for drag racing and the other one Jane road raced going on to win the 1971 and 1972 Australian Touring Car Championships

Bill Mitchell (Chevy designer) had a custom personal car built using the ZL1 engine in a 1969 Camaro and badged as " Z-427"

The 1969 ZL1 Camaros (clones) are one of the top dogs in the Pure Stock Drags
running 11.5 ETs with stock exhaust manifolds and original size tires

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
Here are a couple of threads pertaining to ZL1 show cars/concept cars...

1969 Z/427: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17408.0

1969 ZL-1: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17451.0
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd