Author Topic: Going back to a Powerglide. Help on parts I need! Bunch of questions.  (Read 3346 times)

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
Hey all,

I posted this thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-restoration-corner/467039-going-back-powerglide-help-parts-i-need-bunch-questions.html#post1783193781

over at Team Camaro because I can't add pictures here but need help.  Please read my post over at TC and try to help if you can.  Im trying to put a Powerglide back in my car but I am basically starting from scratch and have a lot of questions... Thanks,

Joe

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

olddragracer

• View Profile
Re: Going back to a Powerglide. Help on parts I need! Bunch of questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:19:00 PM »
Does your car have a column shift or a factory floor shift. The two setups are very different.

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 02:53:40 AM »
Console floor shift.  And thanks to a couple helpful posts at TC I think I’m getting closer to my answers. 
1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

olddragracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »
From memory I will try to guide you to get your 67 Camaro with a consul and floor shift back to original. The shift lever and shaft that goes inside the transmission fits a 67 floor shift only. It has a second lever attached to that part that brings the shift rod hookup point above the center line of the lever and shaft assembly. The rod that connects the second lever to the floor shift fits 67 Camaro only. The bolt circle for the transmission to flywheel bolts for a Powerglide are different than a 700. Your flywheel may have both bolt circles. The flywheel cover for Powerglide is different than the 700. If you have a Powerglide filler tube you can modify a dipstick to set the fluid at the level of the pan gasket.  [engine hot and running]  You will need the throttle pressure linkage that hooks the inner transmission lever to the carb. The vacuum line that runs from the transmission vacuum modulator to the back of the intake manifold has a clip that is on a bellhousing bolt. That bolt also holds the throttle linkage cross shaft. The Powerglide mounting point is different than the 700. You may have to replace the crossmember. The neutral safety switch mounts on the shifter. The shifter parts you have look like they may be correct! The cooler lines run from the trans to the rad, no extra cooler. Best to purchase the cooler lines ready made if you want the correct bends. A couple of things to note. Powerglide torque convertors come in different diameters and stall speeds. Powerglides come in two different 1st gear ratios and different overall lengths.   Good Luck

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:30:36 AM »
Thank you olddragracer!  That helps a lot
1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 11:26:56 PM »
If you don't have the under pan/dust cover/inspection cover, be aware that a 168-tooth flex plate on the L48 uses a different (larger radius) cover than a 153.  You can see the different part numbers in the AIM under UPC M35, Sheet 5. Most vendors don't know the difference, and you'll go nuts finding a correct one that doesn't hit the teeth, unless you are careful.  For some reason they are difficult to find for the larger flex plate.  I believe I finally found Summit was selling a correct size repro cover.

Also if going to full restoration, there is a metal and rubber shield that gets mounted on the front driver side flange that protects the linkage under the hood at the lower firewall.  Most of these got tossed the first time the trans was pulled.  Again, some will claim their NOS shield fits most 67s Chevy's, but the Camaro had a specific one.  This is also in the AIM under UPC M35 Sheet A19.  I have pics if you need them.   

1967butternut

• View Profile
    • MemphisGuru.com
there is a metal and rubber shield that gets mounted on the front driver side flange that protects the linkage under the hood at the lower firewall.  Most of these got tossed the first time the trans was pulled.  Again, some will claim their NOS shield fits most 67s Chevy's, but the Camaro had a specific one.  This is also in the AIM under UPC M35 Sheet A19.  I have pics if you need them.   
@Petes L48
Thanks, I didn't know about the shield.
I'll be putting the original 327 and Powerglide back in my 67 after their rebuilds.

Looking at the AIM page you referenced (UPC M35 Sheet A19 - Thanks!) I don't see a part number for the entire assembly, but rather three part numbers:
3901359 = Extension (rubber piece)
3901358 = Shield (Metal)
9985029 = Staples (qty 5)

Is there an overall part number for the assembly? I searched my regular sources for restoration parts and have only found

gm # 3904595 which is a little different.

Damon
My 1967 Z21 Pictorial History
The Memphis Guru, a web guy you can talk to.
www.MemphisGuru.com

Petes L48

• View Profile
According to the parts books, the 67 Camaro part number was 3905740.  Group 4.067 Boot-Boot Assy-Shield-Insulator

Also, do you have the correct rubber boot for the floor shifter, at the floor tunnel under the console?  They only repro a one-size-fits-all for maybe a TH350 or TH400, and try to sell it as correct for a PG.  The correct PG is "deeper.  I'll see if I can find a few pictures later   

A few shots of an original shield.  Note it has 6 staples, not 5:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:13:38 PM by Petes L48 »

anything