Author Topic: Original Color?  (Read 8313 times)

Tom@LAMdeck.com

• View Profile
Original Color?
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:07:01 PM »
I am looking at purchasing a fully restored all original numbers matching everything 1969 Camaro Z28. The biggest issue I have found so far is the color. The car is currently Black and the original build color was Garnet Red. My questions is, "How much does this hurt the value of the car"? I personally like the black, but it is not original. And when doing sales comparisons, I assume most fully restored high end cars are restored to their original build color. Am I wrong? Am I being over picky? Any advise would help.
Thanks
LAMdeck

Z282NV

• View Profile
Re: Original Color?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 10:38:54 PM »
You are not wrong in your thought process, color change can affect the price. However, if you like black and the paint is done well then I would use the color change as a bargaining chip and get them to knock off a few dollars, if not walk away. No harm no fowl.

If you think the color change will bother you over time and you think others may pick up on that by looking at the trim tag then wait until you find exactly what you are looking for.

Joe
69 Camaro

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:12:27 AM »
Color change would not bother me if the paint is good.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:23:47 AM »
I always would rather have the original color...even if it’s not a color that I really like. 
However I have a hard time even using a non original nut that you can’t even see when car is together!

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 02:28:16 AM »
You've probably already done your homework, but well worth getting the car professionally appraised by an expert familiar with the Z/28 as they are amongst the most widely faked classic cars out there.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 03:51:08 AM »
Generally, it hurts value, esp since the original color was not considered 'bad'. 

Please have it confirmed that it's all original. Lots make that claim, lots shouldn't.
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 03:54:05 AM »
The car is Not *restored* (meaning restored to original condition) if the colors/etc do not match what was done at the factory...
The paint is 'modified/customized'... take your pick of the terms.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 04:06:58 AM »
“Meanings of the word restoration can be many and varied.”

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1011-levels-of-car-restoration/

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 04:31:23 AM »
The word 'Restored' means 'taken back to a prior condition.    Original Restored, or Restored to Original condition (in car terms) generally means restored to the condition in which is left the factory.

If you are using the word 'restored' to mean something different, then please inform us as to what 'condition' it is 'restored' to...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
I always would rather have the original color...even if it’s not a color that I really like. 
However I have a hard time even using a non original nut that you can’t even see when car is together!

I’d like a paternity test, please? My same OCD problem, which people like us don’t see as a problem other than the world is outta step with ours. Lol.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
The word 'Restored' means 'taken back to a prior condition.    Original Restored, or Restored to Original condition (in car terms) generally means restored to the condition in which is left the factory.

If you are using the word 'restored' to mean something different, then please inform us as to what 'condition' it is 'restored' to...

Thought we had turned the corner Gary.

Read the link. Your opinion isn’t the only one that matters. Peace.

Tom@LAMdeck.com

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Thank you all very much. All of these comments are helpful. Next question...Who is the most respected inspection company? Who should I hire to inspect and give me a report or certificate to validate it is a true and correct Z28? I did send off for the original dealer information and I know the car was originally delivered to Danny Shultz Chevrolet in Lenoir, TN.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »
The car is Not *restored* (meaning restored to original condition) if the colors/etc do not match what was done at the factory...
The paint is 'modified/customized'... take your pick of the terms.

“Meanings of the word restoration can be many and varied.”

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1011-levels-of-car-restoration/

Thought we had turned the corner Gary.

Read the link. Your opinion isn’t the only one that matters. Peace.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 03:06:29 PM »
Thank you all very much. All of these comments are helpful. Next question...Who is the most respected inspection company? Who should I hire to inspect and give me a report or certificate to validate it is a true and correct Z28?

Tom, Jerry MacNeish is, by far, THE foremost authority on these cars and he can be contacted via his website, CAMARO HI-PERFORMANCE.

In the meantime email me the VIN, a picture of the trim tag and a picture of the engine suffix stamped on the block as we may already have the car in the database. If we do, we may be able to verify what it is. (My email address is in my signature below)

NOTE: If the pad is painted over, see if you can get the owners permission to remove the paint. If the seller says it's okay, use paint remover, NOT sandpaper or any other medium that will scratch the pad. We don't want to ruin the factory "broach marks" machined in the pad.

Ed

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »

I don’t agree that restored has to automatically mean to original condition.  IMHO, my car is fully restored (refer to my avatar) but it is no longer Dover White with a dark blue vinyl top (and hasn’t been since sometime back in the ‘80’s) 

When I bought the car in Nov 1991, the color had already been changed.  When I took it down to bare metal in Sep 2013, and after multiple steps of primer/sealer and sanding, it was finished (restored) in Glacier Blue.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS