Author Topic: Bristol: 1968 Camaro RS/SS 396 Conv Pace Car for ARCA Tennessee 500 1968  (Read 1361 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Here is a great color photo showing the white with red & black striped 1968 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible lettered up as the pace car for the 1st Annual Tennessee 500 ARCA Stock Car race held at Bristol International Speedway in Bristol, Tennessee on Sunday, November 17, 1968.  According to the souvenir program, this event was originally supposed to be held on Sunday, November 10, 1968 but must have been postponed a week due to weather.  This race was the third event of the "1969" ARCA points season.

The picture appears to have been taken during a pre-event parade on the Bristol International Dragway just like the pictures I posted in an earlier thread but this one must have been taken after July 21, 1968 because it is promoting the next event to be held at the Bristol International Speedway.  I have notes saying that it might have been an AHRA drag racing event called the All American Championship but I can't confirm this, nor can I confirm a date.  The lady in blue has a sash that says Miss All American and the lady in white has a sash that reads Miss AHRA.  Perhaps someone with more drag racing knowledge can fill us in.

I am also unable to find any other photos or footage to prove if this 1968 Camaro was used as the actual pace car.  By the time the ARCA race was run on November 17, 1968 the track might have taken delivery of their 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible.  The 1969 Camaro might have been used as the pace car, I'm just not sure. 

Notice that the ARCA logo appears next to the word "Camaro" on the door.  You can see this logo on the souvenir event program.

CRG Coordinator KurtS posted the first picture in another CRG thread.  It came from the Tommy Erwin Collection.  The second picture came from worthpoint.com

Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

anything