Author Topic: Underside of fenders  (Read 2186 times)

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
Underside of fenders
« on: February 05, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
Were the underside of front fenders/extensions/valance/header just primed or painted body color prior to assembly? If you need specific year, I'm asking for 67's.
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Underside of fenders
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:18:07 PM »
Body color would be a waste for money as would taping them off. My paint shop I told to not create over spray but don't prevent it either...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:27:55 PM »
I think he meant the underside of the panels. On my 67 they are black so the parts must have been primed black overall before body color was sprayed.
This was taken from Jhn Z's article at:  http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Paint shop: Takes the raw front end sheet metal panels (hood, fenders, header panel, front valance, inner fenders, radiator support) from the stamping plants, welds the fender reinforcements to the fender skins, and cleans, phosphates, primes, seals, and topcoats the outer panels; cleans, phosphates and dip-primes the inner fenders and radiator support. After painting, all panels are conveyed to the Sheet Metal Line. Also has a low-temp paint system for grilles, consoles, steering columns, ashtray and glove box doors for delivery to the Trim Line, and a wheel system that primes and paints wheels and conveys them to the wheel & tire assembly area.
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:21:41 PM »
I think he meant the underside of the panels. On my 67 they are black so the parts must have been primed black overall before body color was sprayed.
This was taken from Jhn Z's article at:  http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Paint shop: Takes the raw front end sheet metal panels (hood, fenders, header panel, front valance, inner fenders, radiator support) from the stamping plants, welds the fender reinforcements to the fender skins, and cleans, phosphates, primes, seals, and topcoats the outer panels; cleans, phosphates and dip-primes the inner fenders and radiator support. After painting, all panels are conveyed to the Sheet Metal Line. Also has a low-temp paint system for grilles, consoles, steering columns, ashtray and glove box doors for delivery to the Trim Line, and a wheel system that primes and paints wheels and conveys them to the wheel & tire assembly area.
You said it better for sure. I didn't have that much detail. Thanks, Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 01:52:57 AM »
How bout cowl vent?
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
The cowl vent panel was hung from the RH roof and only the top received full coverage. I have numerous original paint cowl vent panels.