Author Topic: Barone - Houston - Dry Sump Tank Pictures/Descriptions Requested  (Read 2347 times)

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
I know CRG is focused on first gen, but there is lots off fantastic second gen info.  A few years ago I poured through all the documentation and value all that has been shared.

I am building a '72 Pontiac Trans Am for vintage racing.  I am fortunate enough to have found a 303 block to go with the RAIV heads, Nash intake and 2.87" Moldex crank I already had.  Project has be on the stove for a while; but getting back on it after a two-year life detour.  The shortened pan has been finished and the 180 degree headers completed. 

I am hopeful someone can share thoughts/pictures/recommendation of location and any dry sump tanks from the ’71 or ’72 season.  This will help me zero in on what I should use and have made.  A Moon tank comes to mind and the Moroso custom shop can build something which mirrors and looks like the period.   

A picture of the tank in the Team Associates Trans Am would be the cat's pajamas, but I’ve found so few pictures of that car.

Four notes—
1.  Penske Javelin is a great reference point.  I believe that this set-up is the most correct for the period.
2.  The GCR said in front of the firewall and separated from the driver.  Like batteries in the '70 season, a boxed cut-out seams plausible.
3.  I've heard the Team Associates car had it on the passenger floor.  I’ve seen period IMSA in the trunk and other Historic Trans-Am cars on the floor.
4.  The Gray Ghost has it in the passenger cowl.  There are some great shots of it on a mode building forum:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/139343-twin-herb-adams-71-scca-trans-am-64-tempest-gray-ghost-projects/ 

Thanks for your help and expertise.

Mike
Mike Barone
Houston, TX

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: Barone - Houston - Dry Sump Tank Pictures/Descriptions Requested
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:34:55 AM »
Mike,
Also try going over to the Boss 302 site, and leave your post on the 'Trans-Am' section. Many knowledgeable ex-T/A guys hang out there too. Btw, I see your also in Houston, and I might have some insight on your current build. I used to race my T/A Boss in vintage races on the west coast back in the '80s-1990s.
Take care, Scott.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:35:05 AM »
Mike,

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to contact Harry V. Quakenboss as he popped up upon my model car build thread given he might have had some involvement in the second generation Herb Adams Firebird Trans-Am effort in '72.  Just join the Model Car Magazine Forum, address a PM to him and see where that might take you.  A basic web search may turn up his name and further contact information, while his name couldn't be very common.

Just in passing, it might not be terrible to seek out old copies of the Steve Smith race preparation softcover guides from the period, or even issues of Stock Car Racing plus what was called Circle Track & Highway early on consistent with establishing what dry sump systems and setups were in vogue. 

And finally, I don't have many '72-season images to share regarding the effort that was, albeit I do have a few.   I'm always searching for and isolating relevant images to support this scale project or that.  Should you wish for these, please contact me via PM.  Kind thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
Mike,
Check your email.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)