Author Topic: 1968 Newspaper Article Confirming Use of Camaro by NASCAR for Pace Duties 1969  (Read 1805 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
A newspaper article entitled, "Camaro Pace Car for Major Events" appeared in the Thursday, November 14, 1968 edition of the Daytona Beach Morning Journal.  It talks about how the Camaro was chosen by NASCAR to be used as the pace car for all "major events on its 1969 calendar."  This announcement was made Wednesday, November 13, 1968 in New York City by William C. France, Vice-President of NASCAR, at a "press luncheon honoring the Union Oil Co. of California, recipient of NASCAR's Industrial Award of Excellence."  It also lists all of the major tracks where the Camaro will be used as the pace car.  Stay tuned as I will be posting threads on each event held at all of these tracks.

1st image can be seen on the page "twenty seven" in the fourth section of the newspaper which corresponds to page 17 out of 28 in the scanned copy here: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=OWslULmvb_UC&dat=19681114&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

2nd The Argus (California) November 21, 1968 (newspapers.com)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 03:23:55 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Several years ago Bruce Carlton, owner of the 1969 North Wilksboro Camaro Pace Car, wrote up a brief history of his car and included this information on the 1969 NASCAR pace cars.  In it he states that,

"These cars were manufactured in October of 1968 (10C on the cowl tag), so they were very early '69 cars. Consequently, they had a short rear spoiler (carryover from the '68 year Camaro) and had no cowl induction hood (not available until 1969). These cars were manufactured in Norwood, Ohio where the majority of the Indy Pace Cars were built. Each car was sold to NASCAR, headquartered in Daytona Beach, Florida and then given to each of the NASCAR speedways for use as their Pace Car for the entire season. Each track painted their logos and track racing decals on the cars and was free to modify the cars as well for the tracks' use. At the end of the NASCAR season, each car was returned to its' original condition (i.e. painted white again) and turned back into the Chevrolet dealer for resale. Each track had the option to purchase the car for half price if they wanted to keep the car.

These cars were similar in appearance as the Indianapolis Z11 Pace Cars, but there were several distinctions. The cars were big block 396 cars, convertibles, Dover White in color, RS, SS, but instead of having the orange houndstooth interior, they had blue comfort weave interior. Also there were no orange stripes on the hood and trunk lid. The rocker panels were painted black and the rear end (above the bumper) was also painted black, which was standard paint treatment for an SS-optioned car.

The 2.56 positraction rear end was supplied for super high speeds.  Also the steel wheels with caps were supplied to eliminate the trim rings flying off during pace laps, had the car been supplied with the better-looking rally wheels."

This information appears in a Word document here: http://www.camaropacecars.com/1969/69Owners/BCarlton/BCarlton.htm
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
In response on another thread posted in 2014 concerning one of these NASCAR pace cars, CRG Coordinator KurtS stated that, "there were at least 10 cars and I know of 5 (and another possible car).  The 6th car is very original and a manual, unlike the others."  He went on to say that, "the 6th car is a wildcard - it fits the pattern, but was built later in the year.  A replacement or incremental car?"  In a later post he stated that, "the possible 6th car is a 12B, auto.  Has the right options and was from TN and has some history.  Haven't heard about the car for a long time..."
Scott

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
At the end of the NASCAR season, each car was returned to its' original condition (i.e. painted white again) and turned back into the Chevrolet dealer for resale.
The cars were sold to and titled to NASCAR, be curious how they returned them to the dealer.
The one literature dealer found original color pictures of each of the cars and sells prints of them.
Kurt S
CRG

anything