Author Topic: Steve McQueens Mustang sold at auction  (Read 7187 times)

Vince

• View Profile
Re: Steve McQueens Mustang sold at auction
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 09:20:34 PM »
Vince that made me laugh. I think that was about a 83 308, not sure how much people would covet that specific car, but I always liked the 308 for watching magnum PI. A good used one is in the 50-70k range, and depends on if you prefer the euro bumpers which looked better IMO. The James Bond DB5 was a cool looking ride. even non movie cars fetch some coin on those.

Thanks Bullitt.  I would crave that specific 308 just because Christie drove it.  I sort of  lost track of when the 308 became the 328 and then that one the 348.  I  enjoyed Magnum PI too.  I remember his head, with the Tigers cap on, always was higher than the top of the windshield.   I too prefer the Euro bumpers.  Maybe one of these days if I can ever get my Camaro appetite full, perhaps a good used Ferrari.   

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 01:26:34 AM »
Ok, boys have to chime in to dispel the 'rumors' on the Bullitt cars. We did a television interview in the early 1990s with Max Balchowsky the man WHO bought and built the cars for the movie "Bullitt". He told us both Chargers were DESTROYED, and scraped. He also said the 'stunt' Mustang was scraped. The 'hero' Mustang was sold to a Warner Bros. employee after filming. The stunt car was scraped due to liability issues. The hero car is the one that recently sold at auction. The stunt car has allegedly survived, yet it currently has no VIN numbers, so make your own conclusions on that one...
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 01:44:55 AM »
I think the fact it's documented Steve McQueen tried to buy the car back and was rebuffed added a lot to the selling price. If you haven't read the story about the "find" that preceded the auction, read it. The owner knew he had the car all along and just kept it private.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 01:53:50 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-mustang-found-in-mexican-junkyard-is-from-bullitt-expert-confirms

Kevin Marti confirmed the BULLITT stunt car. He had the Warner bros info on the cars.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:04 PM »
It is odd that there is a very recent magazine article about the movie car that led me to believe it was not for sale, then it is. Money talks I guess.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-mustang-found-in-mexican-junkyard-is-from-bullitt-expert-confirms

Kevin Marti confirmed the BULLITT stunt car. He had the Warner bros info on the cars.

Yes he did…and it was a dog and pony show. The fact remains the car in question has no VIN numbers. Remember, it was 'discovered' in a Mexican junk yard, yet it crossed into the US with NO VIN/title? Hmmmm….
1968 Olds 442 W-30

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 05:14:34 PM »
Well if you know early mustangs, 65-68, then you know they are stamped on the unibody in multiple places. The only riveted tag is the door tag which told you options, it would have the vin but was not to be used to or needed to title a car.

So did you read somewhere the vin was cut out of each place?

I have not read a story of it not having a vin. Not having a title, does not surprise me, especially south of the border.

"Papers? we don't no stinking papers!"  ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »
Well if you know early mustangs, 65-68, then you know they are stamped on the unibody in multiple places. The only riveted tag is the door tag which told you options, it would have the vin but was not to be used to or needed to title a car.

So did you read somewhere the vin was cut out of each place?

I have not read a story of it not having a vin. Not having a title, does not surprise me, especially south of the border.

"Papers? we don't no stinking papers!"  ;D

BULLITT,
Yes, I am very familiar with early Mustangs….have owned several. When Kevin Marti 'verified' the car, it was just a publicity stunt in my opinion. The car was discovered in a Mexican junkyard, and according to the owners(?), it was going to be converted into one of those 'Eleanor' disasters. Remember, Mexican cars (especially ones stolen from the US) lack paperwork/titles, yet seem to be ok to drive in corrupt Mexico. According to Max Balchowsky, the 'stunt' car was scrapped then crushed like the two Chargers. So, I suspect the car 'found' in Mexico is a fraud. And yes, HOW did this car cross into the United States with NO verified paperwork is beyond me. Very suspicious.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 02:48:27 AM »

When Kevin Marti 'verified' the car, it was just a publicity stunt in my opinion. The car was discovered in a Mexican junkyard, and according to the owners(?), it was going to be converted into one of those 'Eleanor' disasters.
[/quote]

Some of this was covered in the Hagerty article - including "restoration" of the car possibly prior to the Marti inspection. To me, the car is the same as a clone car - just a trim tag. Questionable at that level.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

anything