Author Topic: Was the oil filter mounted when the motor was sprayed at factory?  (Read 4666 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
 For 1967 motors using the separate oil filter & housing, was the filter on the motor when it was sprayed at the factory?
I figured by the time it was sprayed, it had gone through its bench test, hence the need for oil.
This question probably relates to 68-69 spin-on filters too. 

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Was the oil filter mounted when the motor was sprayed at factory?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:40:52 AM »
Sprayed, I assume you mean painted? I have only seen the canisters black painted. Not orange.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:49:27 AM »
Hi Bentley,

Was I was getting at is if over-spray was possible on the oil filter housing during engine painting process. If it were mounted then I am guessing the filter housing may have had a cover over it so the filters silk screen wasn't painted over. Sort of like with the coffee can on the distributor during painting.

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
For 1967 motors using the separate oil filter & housing, was the filter on the motor when it was sprayed at the factory?
I figured by the time it was sprayed, it had gone through its bench test, hence the need for oil.
This question probably relates to 68-69 spin-on filters too.

No it wasn't. It was attached at Norwood or LA. From the ASSEMBLY ARTICLE by John:

From here on, all the detail dress items were added (plug wires, coil, engine harness, battery cables, carburetor, pulleys, alternator, starter, fan and clutch, A/C compressor, power steering pump, transmission cooler lines and fill tube, A.I.R. pump, diverter valve and air manifolds, drive belts, dipstick and tube, oil filter, engine and transmission mounts, PCV plumbing,

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 03:38:25 PM »
 Thanks, Ed. I've read that and found it confusing in that when an assembled motor was tested, I assume it had oil its sump. Was the oil drained after testing and the motor shipped with a dry sump? If shipped dry then I wonder how debris was kept from the now wet oil filter adapter unless there was a cover placed over it. If the oil was drained after each engine test, I wonder if the oil was filtered and reused for the next motor test otherwise it would be hard to fathom such a huge waste of oil.

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »
Yes, I remember us discussing this a while back and John said when the engine was built in Flint (or Tonawanda), it was filled with oil, tested, then the oil drained. I don't remember what he said about re-using it on the next engine, but I'll find out.

Stay tuned...

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »
Ok, got in touch with John and he said that the drained engine plant "first-start" oil was filtered and re-used, and there was no oil filter can or cartridge to deal with. An adapter fixture was used at hot test, and the oil filter was installed at the car assembly plant.

Thanks John!

Ed

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »
So this test process at the engine plant was also where the cam was run-in?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 07:14:31 PM »
No, not really. I'm paraphrasing and adding my own comments, but here's the poop:

According to John, there wasn't any attempt to "break-in" the cam at the engine plant since it only ran 30 seconds to a minute on the hot test fixture before being drained and shipped. In addition, there wasn't any attempt to "break-in" the cam at the final car assembly plant either. Each car only ran for a couple of minutes at idle after car-start on the Final Line, spent a minute or two on the roll test, and never ran again except for rail and/or haulaway truck loading and unloading. Let's face it, at 5000 engines a day, there just wasn't enough time to break them in, and it wasn't needed anyway.

The reason they didn't need to have a break-in period was because production (and service) camshaft lobes were Parkerized for improved initial surface oil retention. Hot-rod aftermarket cams without Parkerized lobes are VERY sensitive to initial break-in so they have to be run at approx 2500 RPM for around 20 minutes or so. Production cams depend on lobe Parkerizing (increasing the resistance to wear through the application of a chemical phosphate conversion coating) to avoid being "wiped".

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
 Thank you Ed and John for the clarification!

Mike

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 02:21:40 AM »
Yes, thanks for the all the info Ed.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 03:48:18 AM »
Nice job Ed. You guys (John, etc.) never fell to share your knowledge and make it easier to understand the procedures taken to do much of the things most of us would never know. Much appreciated!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
You kidding? I learned something new too!!! John is such an encyclopedia when it comes to the assembly procedures that every time I talk with him I learn something new!

Ed

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
It would be so nice if a few of the folks. such as John and others in the know, could get together and have an informal discussion video taped for the sake of prosperity. The wealth of knowledge that could be captured would be absolutely tremendous for sure.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 05:37:07 PM »
Just search up his posts or read his articles. There's lots there already documented.
Kurt S
CRG

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 01:47:39 PM »
I do read his post and articles. Probably the best that I have come across. And I am also very impressed with your post, comments, knowledge. I was actually leaning toward the video aspect so younger future owners could sorta get their info from the actual horses mouth so to speak, in a way that would further concrete what his and the other's opinions were on their shared knowledge base. I also realize that it would take way to many hours to even get a glimpse of what they could share. I've read books both before and after meeting the author and it sometimes help give me a different view on what they were trying to get across. Not saying, at all, that his reports or others input are difficult to follow. I guess with age, and many of us are getting there, that I just sorta would like to have captured real time down to earth video of people who are still with us who have been so instrumental to keeping this hobby alive and actually started. Actual first hand participants. A time capsule with respect to those who would be involved in such an endeavor. I realize that this will not happen and that is okay. I guess I am feeling a bit nostalgic these days.     

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 09:56:40 PM »
Probably already has happened. John has given many seminars for NCRS - some of those probably were recorded.
It was a memorable day when John and Scott Settlemire sat around and shot the bull. Both with decades of experience, one in manufacturing, one in sales. We looked at each one another and said too bad we're not recording this......
Kurt S
CRG

anything