Author Topic: Charlotte Motor Speedway 1968 Camaro RS/SS 396 Conv Pace Car NASCAR National 500  (Read 1372 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
A white 1968 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible was used as the pace car for the 1968 National 500 NASCAR Grand National event held at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Charlotte, North Carolina on Sunday, October 20, 1968.  The race was originally scheduled to run on Sunday, October 13, 1968 but rain postponed it a week.  It was run on a day that was supposed to be a day off for the series.  It was won by Charlie Glotzbach in his 1968 Dodge Charger.

While I can only find one picture of the car it is undoubtedly the same Camaro that was used to pace the World 600 NASCAR Grand National event held at the same track earlier in the season on Sunday, May 26, 1968 (see my earlier thread).  The picture does show that the markings on the front fender are different than what was on the car at the previous event.  It has the name of the race and a Firestone sticker instead of the name of the track. 

It is interesting to see that a 1968 model Camaro was continued to be used even though the 1969 models had come out by the time this race was run in October 1968.

I found this Press Photo featuring a glimpse of the Camaro here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1968-roy-tyner-stock-car-race-driver-428368715 

The caption on the side of the photos says,
"1968 Roy Tyner - Stock Car Race Driver De-Mudding - Stock car Race Driver Roy Tyner of Lake View, S.C. sits barefoot on the seat of his motor bike and cleans the mud from his boots after today's National 500 Stock Car Race was called off because of rain. Rains created a quagmire in the infield area of the Charlotte Motor Speedway. The race has been rescheduled for Oct. 20. 1968."

The second photo is the cover of the souvenir program for the event.  It also came from www.worthpoint.com
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd