Author Topic: Headliner recommendations  (Read 815 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Headliner recommendations
« on: November 19, 2023, 01:17:45 AM »
I'm getting around to having a headliner installed in my 68 with deluxe interior. There is quite a range of prices, so I'm looking for recommendations. I'd like to be as close to original as possible. Thanks

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Headliner recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 02:22:32 AM »
I plan on using SMS, Canby Ore. & got a Sample of the Red Headliner material they supply, It was a good match and I think Others suggested them also.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 03:26:37 AM »
Jim,
Do you intend to reuse your original Visors?

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 05:27:43 AM »
Yes (*They Are Red) & they (Originals) Cleanup like new! Very Happy  & Lucky I think.
Found them in great shape and covered with Black Mold & pitted hinge, Used Diluted Simple-Green cleaner and hit the hinges with the Buffing wheel very lightly, pits remain but acceptable.

Photo effects Weird?
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 11:09:58 PM »
I'd like to reuse mine, but the stitching is coming out around the edges. The upholsterer can't repair them, apparently a special machine is needed. I ordered a sample from SMS, unfortunately they don't sell Visors. Thanks for the recommendation.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 11:27:03 PM »
They can send you a Swatch sample & Quote. I had a small scrap of my Orig Headliner and sent it to them and got this back.
(Which you did Cool!) Edit

Joe & Darrell both have threads with Headliner data I "think"

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 01:11:08 AM »
I'd like to reuse mine, but the stitching is coming out around the edges. The upholsterer can't repair them, apparently a special machine is needed.
Did you try stitching them by hand? The holes are already there.
Kurt S
CRG

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 05:11:04 PM »
I'd like to reuse mine, but the stitching is coming out around the edges. The upholsterer can't repair them, apparently a special machine is needed.
Did you try stitching them by hand? The holes are already there.
Been there - done that.......Tedious, but it works out great.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 02:45:36 PM »
Some people might want to tackle this at home. The headliner was not difficult but I have some very valuable tips that you will not get from a book. Print this out or save for reference.

Start by disconnecting the battery or just the courtesy light fuse. Begin by removing all the stuff that screws into the roof and bag together the pieces with the hardware. Pull the roof rail windlacing off and the front and rear windlacing as well. It helps to have the front and rear glass out to do this job but it can be done with it still installed. Cut out the old headliner and you will notice there are support rods set into holes on the side structure. You must label the rods so you know the order they go back into the car front to rear. You must also label the holes they came out of before you remove them, as there are 3 different sets of holes. I used a black magic marker on the sides of the roof for this. Masking tape on the roof bows for labels. Polish off the surface rust on the bows to help the new headliner slide better at assembly/adjustment time.

The new headliner will be labeled "front" and will have a centerline. Cut a small "V" on the front and back to help find the center from looking at the other side. Here are the best tips I have for the headliner. Buy 4-6 boxes of medium size sheet metal paper clamps that look like butterflies from the office supply store. You will really need at least 4 dozen. All fasteners for anything that attaches to the roof should be installed at this time to help you find the holes after the headliner is installed. You will install the headliner over them and feel around with your fingers for them after the headliner is in place.

You need to buy 3M lighter duty headliner glue. Start with installing the bows into the headliner then put the center bow in the roof first. You will need to scrunch the headliner on both sides, as it will be too long for the bows. Install all the bows in their original locations and starting from the center bow. The white plastic bow center retainers can be soaked in a cup of hot water to make them pliable before installing the bows. 

Start trimming back the listings a small amount at a time. Do a small amount on one side, and then do the same bow on the other side. Use the paper clamps to attach the headliner to the metal edges on the sides of the car. Another trick here is to cut a slit in the liner on both sides of the listing about 1/4" away from each seam. This will give you a tab to pull on while you are adjusting the listings with a razor blade or scissors. You want to pull out most all the wrinkles to get a clean job. The listings need to be intact within 1" of the ends of the bows in order for the roof to look right when finished.

There is a tacking strip on the inside of the sail panel. You will need a staple gun to attach the material there. Always remember to work out the wrinkles as you go.

When you have the sides nice and tight and where you want them, you can glue them to the metal edges. Do one side at a time using the paper clamps. When both sides are done, you work on the front and rear. Pull the material tight as you glue and clamp it to the metal edging. If all goes well at this point, you are home free.

Recover the side earmuff sail panel covers with the material provided and the headliner glue. The grain needs to go the same direction as it did originally so pay attention to it. If your cardboard is rotten, you can make new ones or buy replacements. The retainers are the same as for the inner door panels. If you need to make new panels, you will need to transfer the old retainer clips to the new replacement panels. I cut the old ones out leaving a square hole and used the old panels to mark the locations on the new panels. 3M black weather strip adhesive worked well here. Just push the retainers into the sail panels and they are done.

After the glue has dried on the metal edges, remove the paper clamps and install the windlacing. Feel with your fingers to find the fasteners and cut tiny slits for the screws. Attach the coat hooks, shoulder belts, sun visors etc. and you are done. If your visors need recovering, I would have it done by an upholstery shop. Mine were fine so I just reinstalled them.

Careful heating and/or steam will work out any remaining wrinkles. Cut off any excess material and that is it.

Hope this is not too much information. This was my first headliner and I am glad I did it myself. Very satisfying.

Good luck!

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 03:15:57 PM »
The one difference I did was leave the screws in the holes where they came out. Easier to find a screw head than a screw hole. Then you just make a little cut on the screw head & remove the screw through the vinyl. Whatever goes there will cover the small hole....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

anything