Author Topic: Amber light radio question for the experts  (Read 1245 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Amber light radio question for the experts
« on: May 26, 2023, 10:44:30 AM »
Ok here's a good one.
We all know that the blue light went out sometime around April / May 69 for the amber light radio right? 

Now for the kicker....the blue light radio had the external multiplexer / amp mounted near the glove box - that's fact.

I'm reading on a few forums (here too) where folks have original amber light radios that had no "Stereo" on the lens - just on the FM dial and............there was no external multiplexer - it was all integrated within the one unit.

Can one of our experts / higher knowledgeable folks confirm this? 

Reason is - I see nothing about that in the AIM. - I'm thinking it was too late of a change to make it worthwhile to do...? 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 11:08:00 AM by camaronut »

70L34

• View Profile
Re: Amber light radio question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 01:06:28 PM »
I have had maybe a half dozen of the late amber light stereos. All are identical to the earlier blue light models with the exception of the stereo indicator color, and possibly the assembly part number.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 03:09:55 AM »
That is my understanding - they moved the external multiplex into the radio chassis.
But I've never dealt with one and surprised the AIM doesn't reflect that.
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 04:32:03 AM »
I suspect you read that in Appendix D: 1969 Camaro Trivia in Jerry MacNeish's 1969 Camaro book. It was one of my contributions. Way back in the '70s I started documenting '69s. No internet then so one communicated with other like-minded people via Hemmings Motor News and Old Cars Weekly. That's how I became acquainted with Warren Malkin, Jr. who was doing essentially the same thing on the East Coast. Still have all the stuff Warren sent over 40 years ago including two cars he was certain had been built with the yellow light AM/FM stereo. Both Z/28s; one 05A build, the other 05E. The comment in the book implies the change was made for the extended production run; we weren't certain at the time so that was what we went with.

The AIM copies that have been around now for over 40 years were not necessarily complete and may not have contained later updates. All hardcopy in those days; someone had to manually change out pages. Some details may have never been changed. Sometime during late February at both Norwood and Van Nuys, Chevrolet reversed the position of the horns, placing the high note horn on the passenger side. This is documented in original magazine photos. I have also noted it on several undisturbed, original cars. The Assembly Manual [Section 12 page A5] was never updated.
Learning more and more about less and less...

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks William - I already installed my integrated unit in the dash and it works great.

Now I wish I can come across a set of original front kick-panel speakers - without having to lose a body part too!!!  LOL! 

I have a set of Delco 10 ohm speakers from newer applications that fit - with a little bit of manicuring - but they work!!!

I bought a set of cheapy 10-ohm speakers at first from an electronics vendor but they were absolutely horrible.

Thanks again!

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 07:03:09 PM »