Author Topic: rebuilding engine  (Read 32285 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: rebuilding engine
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »
Dave and Paul,

Both NastyZ28 and Chevy-Camaro sites list the TDB engine code, but John actually gave more information than either one of them.

Actually, Dave, lots of "shade tree restorers" use truck motors.  They are generally reliable.
A few years ago, I restored a similar motor in my truck.  I "abuse" that truck all the time, and it still runs like a scalded dog.  For a cruiser, it's probably fine!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 08:40:49 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
Phillip:

From what the company tells me that is rebuilding the engine I have a great fountation for a nice strong engine with the 0010 block, 0462 heads and the manifold. Adding the cam will enhance all of these. Can ya tell I'm a little bit excited!

Dave

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »
Actually, Dave, lots of "shade tree restorers" use truck motors.  They are generally reliable.

There's no difference between a "truck engine" and a "car engine" in terms of the block - they all use the same block casting; the items that make it a "truck engine" are all bolt-on parts. When raw blocks were machined, nobody knew what they were going into - the differences weren't made until they went down the engine assembly line and were configured for a specific application.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »
The 350/350 cam is a poor choice for an automatic.
Learning more and more about less and less...

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »
William:

Why do you say the cam is a poor choice?

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 12:23:48 AM »
Well, once again, John is right!  I should have said, "motors out of trucks", because that's the reference I meant to make.  As in "someone found a wrecked truck with a good motor and put it in their car..."

Is the 350/350 too much for a powerglide?

Anyway, Dave, glad you are excited.  Keep us posted!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 07:59:49 PM »
William:

Why do you say the cam is a poor choice?

Dave

That 350/350hp cam was used in the Corvette with L-82 from '73-'80 with an automatic, but the Corvette used a 3-speed automatic, with a much deeper first gear than the Powerglide; Powerglides want plenty of low-end torque for lively acceleration in 1st, and the so-called "300hp cam" (the stock "929" cam) is a much better choice for a Powerglide-equipped car for normal street operation with a stock converter and axle.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »
JohnZ and William:

Ok thanks for the info!!!!!!! I will contact the company rebuilding my car and hopefully they haven't ordered anything yet.I want to put in the car what will be the best combination taking into consideration all three factors: engine.tranny and rearend.

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 08:05:48 PM »
OK, talked with the people rebuilding my engine. They figured out what would be best fo my car based on what I told them I wanted and also taking into consideration what my tranny and rear end gearing was. As a matter of fact they left me a voice message this morning at work to call them so we could discuss. They are still putting in a cam the will increase horsepower something similiar to the 300hp cam and not the 350hp. And they recommend I drive it for a year, get the feel for it and possibly change either the rear gear next year to something in the lines of a 3:56 and or change out the tranny to a TH350. As always I believe JohnZ mentioned something about a 3 spd auto!!!!!!!!!!!! And maybe that is what William was referring to. Anyways, that is what I am going to do. Drive it, evaluate it and then decide if I want to change anything else.

Dave

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »
I beleive a 2004r is a bolt in swap, and gives you a 4 speed overdrive with a locking converter. Should also allow you to go back to original with ease.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 07:07:40 PM »
Tom:

Thanks for the input and info. I'll  keep all these suggestions and comments on file.

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 11:58:16 PM »
It's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Finally got my car back after a longer than expected rebuild. But it was well worth it. In just the little time I drove the car with the different cam, Edelbrock 2102, you can tell the difference in power and performance. Can't wait to have the break in period, 500 miles completed to see how it will run out on the open road at a constant speed for a couple of hours. Changing the oil in 200 miles and then again in 500 miles. No longer than 40 minutes at one time at the the same speed. At idle when warmed up, it has just enough "attitude" to make it sound really nice. Unfortuantely one little problem yet, the ring around the torque converter still leaks a bit, so I guess this winter I will still have to pull the tranny and have it replaced, they replaced all the other seals and this is the only place that they see a slight leak at.  They said when the car sets for long periods of time, like 3-4 weeks the torque converter will empty the tranny fluid back into the pan and when it reaches a certain level, it begins to leak around this rubber seal that is probably harder than when original and this is causing the leak.They also suggested that I change the stainless steel tranny lines back to aluminum to get a better seal at the connectors. Anyways, can't wait to get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 12:38:34 AM »
Congratulations, Dave!
Did they give you any info, like what HP you're running now?  Above you said about 300 hp.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »
Phillip:

The HP is right around 325 to 330. After the break-in period they are going to "dyno" it and give me the RWHP. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that is going to be around 270-290? Which is more than enough for this "old man"
Oh yea one more thing,,,,,,,,,,,,, NO flexplate cover!!!!!! they could not find one. Evened order one from one of the first gen warehouses and it did not fit. I have the small starter and these must really be hard to find!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, and the search goes on and on and on!!!!!!!!!

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Sounds great!  Keep us posted!  This weekend should be a good time to put some break-in miles on that motor.

I'm driving my 68 to church and going cruising afterwards...  Holidays are made for crusing!