Author Topic: Motor mount brackets for 68 BB  (Read 3352 times)

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
Motor mount brackets for 68 BB
« on: November 30, 2019, 03:04:04 AM »
Hi all.  I have sort of an odd question regarding the use of BB 69 motor mount brackets in a 68 Camaro.  I discovered that the previous owner apparently installed BB 69 motor mount brackets (ok, ok, frame mount brackets) in my 68 Camaro.  I initially thought that the person never bolted the engine to the frame because it appeared to be sitting above the frame mount brackets with the bolts/nuts bolted there just for looks.  Well, I removed the bolts/nuts and attempted to shift the engine onto the frame mount brackets only to find that there were metal tubes welded to the top of the frame mount brackets, preventing the engine from dropping down.  This had me going for quite awhile because I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the engine wouldn't "slip" into the frame mounts. 
Has anyone seen something like this before?  It makes no sense to me at all.  I'm including some pics to show you what I am talking about since it is so bizarre, in my opinion.

Oh, and I also discovered that the car has a SB trans cross-member too.  I just ordered the correct one for the Muncie 4-spd, as well as new correct frame mounts.

Thanks,
Greg
'68 RS/SS 427 4spd Jet black/white stripe
'68 RS/SS 427 4spd Jet black/white stripe

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Motor mount brackets for 68 BB
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
The only reason I can think of would be to move the engine an inch or so higher? Normally, the engine mounts would bolt to the pre-drilled holes in the frame mounts, but if (for some reason) they were having issues with oh, say the balancer hitting the cross member, that might have been their "fix".

You never know what you'll find on these cars after this amount of time. People come up with all kinds of things to get around problems.

Ed

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Motor mount brackets for 68 BB
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
I found some engine towers that were probably original to an Impala.  Two of the bolt holes were lined up but the lower one was so far off he used a large cast iron exhaust manifold washer to clamp it in place.  Poor car was probably gutted with a torch and scrapped very early on only to be dragged out and duct taped back together later by some "Alpha Bubba".  Fasteners were just about anything he could find.  Screws too long, square nuts....what a mess.  A lot of bad things happened to it in the first 10 years of its life before I got it.  It took a long time to get it all put back together.  She's pretty now.  ;D