Author Topic: Pony Car/Musclecar market going away?  (Read 15297 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Pony Car/Musclecar market going away?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 11:40:50 PM »
the collector market is hard to predict
when the old Ferraris leveled off, people said the young collectors were not interested and wouldn't spend their investment income on them. The old Ferrari's then doubled and tripled

I never thought 1980s pick ups and SUV would go as high as they been doing

this is a pretty good article
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/collector-car-market-buy-hold-sell-classic-vintage/

according to that rest-o mods and original muscle is 50/50 split. Maybe that is what is seen in auction houses, or trending? I don't see half the classic car market going that way in my area.

I have been noticing the rise in restomods and modernized classic muscle cars are typically surpassing restored original cars at auctions. Forget which specific Mecum auction but they had two Corvettes go back to back. Both C2's, One was a 67 big block roadster that was very high end restored (might have had some NCRS awards) sell for a little over $100k. Right after that was like a 65/66 with a aftermarket frame with late model suspension, a ls engine, modern style interior, etc. Defiantly had a lot of money dumped into redoing the car, sold for near $300k. I remember that if you wanted to at least break even on a Corvette you didnt modify it.

I agree with what you are saying, BUT to make that 300k car it likely took more coin to get there. Likely the 100k car may have been preserved or lightly restored so less into it. Another thing to keep in mind since we are of the same generation. Look at the rest-o-mods of the past, how they doing in the market place?
LT-1 swaps, and tweed interiors, last I checked not so hot. Rest-o-mods are a hot ticket right when they are done, but unless you had an original Boyd or Foose car, I doubt the return on your money is going increase from what was paid as time marches on.  Trends change, tech gets better, so rest-o-mods, look dated pretty quick.
On the other hand while some grow tired of the classics and original builds (mostly stock) they still are the best at holding there value over the long term. Kinda like a 401k. Where Rest-o-mods are the penny stock of the week. Super Hot but for a short term, and then every is on to the new Hot Stock. IMO
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Hideawaze

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »
Guys, these are the times we live in. Im not saying that the younger crowd dislikes old cars, but I dont see the passion for it. Personally I think cost is the big reason. Dont want to get too political, but cost of living,-taxes, healthcare in particular is outrageous . Most of us probably had it thru our jobs and it wasn't a very big hit on the paycheck. Plus they have bad credit thus an everyday car just for job is $500-$800 a month. In plain talk They cant swing it

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 02:28:42 AM »
Guys, these are the times we live in. Im not saying that the younger crowd dislikes old cars, but I dont see the passion for it.
Nothing new. How many 18-24 year olds in the 80's had passion to own a car from the 1930's? You can't expect subsequent generations to share the same taste as we do. It's the nostalgia effect.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 05:59:00 AM »
good point.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »
When I was a kid, going to shows with my Dad, I'd see all these "old men" with old looking cars wearing Flatheads Forever t-shirts.
Not my thing,but the young crowd into Honda's:cheap,plentiful,easy to work on. Parts interchangeable.  They drag them, drift them,autocross and customize. Have a following for early stock/survivors. Always going to be hotrodders,just different cars.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

anything