Author Topic: Neutral safety switch details  (Read 3617 times)

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
Neutral safety switch details
« on: October 27, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
I'm looking for a detailed schematic or even a picture of all the connections for a neutral safety switch/back up switch for a 68 Camaro with console and Muncie 4-spd.  I did some searching on this site but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Feel free to point me to the appropriate link or location for this information.  I have the backup lamp switch extension (American Autowire pn CA70554) as well as the bracket that holds the switch (from a spare Muncie shifter).  If the car was not originally a 4-spd car or even have a console, is it necessary to replace the under dash harness or even the junction block at the firewall?  I guess what I am looking for is a picture of all the components needed to basically get my back up lights functional in order to pass Penna safety inspection.

Thanks!
Greg
'68 RS/SS 427 4spd Jet black/white stripe

rare396bronze

• View Profile
Re: Neutral safety switch details
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:47:19 PM »
Was it a automatic or manual transmission from the factory.

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:27:58 AM »
Was it a automatic or manual transmission from the factory.

From what I can tell an auto 6.  But I am intending to convert to V8 manual.

Greg

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:14:24 AM »
The automatic used neutral safety switch made with backup switch as one switch. The floor shift manual transmission did not have a neutral safety switch in 1968. It used backup switch that was bolted to the side cover on the transmission which had two wire harness that connected to a plug thru comes thru the firewall. The harness under the dash is not the same between automatic and the manual because of this. If you have a 1968 assembly manual look on page 323 it will you how the 4 speed backup switch mounts. Hope this helps

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:31:38 AM »
The following pic from carswitches shows the relative setup (although this is listed as Nova/Impala/Caprice), it will give you an idea about how the switch mounts to the Muncie (with a Muncie shifter mounted alongside. Nice clear shot -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:17:07 AM »
The automatic used neutral safety switch made with backup switch as one switch. The floor shift manual transmission did not have a neutral safety switch in 1968. It used backup switch that was bolted to the side cover on the transmission which had two wire harness that connected to a plug thru comes thru the firewall. The harness under the dash is not the same between automatic and the manual because of this. If you have a 1968 assembly manual look on page 323 it will you how the 4 speed backup switch mounts. Hope this helps

Thank you for that information.  That helps a lot.

Greg

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:19:17 AM »
The following pic from carswitches shows the relative setup (although this is listed as Nova/Impala/Caprice), it will give you an idea about how the switch mounts to the Muncie (with a Muncie shifter mounted alongside. Nice clear shot -

Regards,
Steve

Thank you so much for that picture.  That is awesome!  Now I know how to hook mine up on the M21.

Greg

anything