Author Topic: Turn Signal Question  (Read 2497 times)

JBall

• View Profile
Turn Signal Question
« on: October 08, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
Folks,

Looking for some help with my turn signals.

Background:
1969 Camaro - Passenger side worked but drivers side would not flash. Started trouble shooting and wiring was a mess. All kinds of splices and some of the sockets were bad. Ground wire on drivers side was hanging on by a thread.

Step 1: Replaced the rear tail light harness along with both engine compartment harnesses. Still same issue. Drivers side would not blink. Would stay on solid. Passenger was fine.

Step 2: Replaced flasher under the dash by the radio. Both driver and passenger now flash, 4-ways, stop/tail all work! Everything works! kind of...

Now I have a different problem.

When I active the turn signal, the engine skips. Just while the cam is being selected. Once the lever is in place (signal on) no more miss.

I have no idea where to start. Ground? Steering column issue?

Hoping some one has experienced this and might have a solution. I can try posting a video if that would help. It almost stalls the engine. I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

JBALL

sabino56

• View Profile
Re: Turn Signal Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 06:20:33 AM »
i don’t have any experience on this so my thoughts are worth about what you are paying for them ;)
2 possibilities are something shorting 12v and dropping voltage to ignition when moving the turn signal
Or
Something moving cables/wires and causing some intermittent open in power to ignition. 
Since key is on dash it seems unlikely to be the later.
You may be able to prove this by watching voltmeter on 12v at coil when lever is moved, not sure.
If it is something shorting, I don’t think there is anything to do but disassembling and searching
Hopefully someone has better experience and knowledge. Good luck

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 01:53:41 PM »
You have a short somewhere. IF you don't have the talent for electrics, may I suggest having an expert have a look. He will find it.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:28:36 PM »
 Since it's a 1969 (not 67), the key is in the column. There is also a flasher tube type unit that plugs in the fuse box as well. Sounds like a ground issue somewhere. Those are the most common cause of weird issues like you are seeing. Check ground straps from block to firewall. Check the ground pigtail from battery to fender, remove, sand, use star washer and clean the pigtail end too. Another ground strap from frame to firewall as well. Those are all things you can do easily. Then if it persists you have issues in boogered up wiring somewhere. :)
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »
I would start by replacing the under dash wire harness, if you haven't already done that.
If that wiring is FUBAR'ed with all kinds of splices and cut wires like mine was, you will be chasing issues
like that for a long time.... Been there, done that.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

JBall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I noticed that I am missing the ground wire from the battery to the passenger side fender. I also had the car running in the dark last night and the parking light is very dim (compared to the passenger side) and when I grabbed the pig tail, it went out. Going to start here and see if that helps.

Jball