Author Topic: Master Cylinder  (Read 2349 times)

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Master Cylinder
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking to replace an incorrect (an non-functional) master cylinder on a '67 Camaro with power disc brakes.  Rock Auto is only showing one part number for disc brakes.  Were the master cylinders the same for power and non-power brakes? 

The number they give for AC Delco is ACDELCO 18M1036 {#19106822, 19176594}.  Also, I noticed that the Cardone brand is more expensive, and has a different discrption: 

CARDONE 1336280 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} With Reservoir Info Front Disc brakes; with Bendix Brake Booster; with Dual Wire Bail Master Cylinder Reservoir; Original Bendix Boosters are Usually Painted Black

I'm not sure I understand the difference.  Is the Cardone a better unit?  Does it matter if the car has power brakes or not?

Thank you,
Brandon

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
If you're looking for an "original" master cylinder, you'll need to find a rebuilt "WT" code. If you just want one that'll "work", go with the AC Delco, Centric, Raybestor or the Cardone. Try and stay away from those master cylinders that have the "bolt-on" cap though. They'll work, but they look goofy! And of course you can also go with a reproduction from any of the repop houses.

Lots of original brake info HERE.

Ed

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:48:11 PM »
I just wanted to make sure I ordered the correct master cylinder.  The page that you referenced indicates the Power Disc Brake cars came with master cylinder number 5460346 and Manual Disc Brake cars came with 5459467.

Rock auto does not distinguish between power or manual brakes.  I have at times encountered parts suppliers to have an error and offer an incorrect part.  Would these be correct?  I notice they do not have the original style bleed valves.  Will this cause an issue?

AC Delco
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=496333&cc=1321232&jsn=469

Cardone
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3451788&cc=1321232&jsn=474&jsn=474&jsn=474

Thank you,
Brandon

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:01:52 AM »
Yes, originally there were differences between power and non-power, but all the ones you see now are generic replacements and either will work. You'll have to bench bleed the master to get rid of any trapped air, but it'll come with instructions on how to do that.

Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 05:31:51 AM »
That replacement doesn't look like the originals, fwiw.
Kurt S
CRG

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
The master cylinder bleeder screws are for the original assembly line use only.  They have no function in service. 

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
Thanks guys for the information.  In rereading my post I realized I wasn't clear in my wording.  What I meant to say was that I'm not looking for an exact, period correct master cylinder, but rather one that will work and be correct for the brake system I have and I wanted to make sure that the part being offered wasn't a mistake in the computer system of RockAuto (which has happened to me at other parts places and resulted in me getting parts that don't fit correctly). 

Thanks for the update and good to know that power or manual uses the same part # now.

Thanks,
Brandon

anything