Author Topic: Holley Carb  (Read 2083 times)

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Holley Carb
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:04:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm helping my father with his '67 Camaro.  We're fixing a few things.  The car has been put back to mostly original but the carburetor is a Holley.  It currently needs some work.  I'm curious if there would be any advantage, other than originality, to returning to the original style carburetor.  The current carb has an electric choke and the previous owner seems to have crimped the heat tube for the old choke. 

Thanks,
Brandon

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Holley Carb
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 12:26:17 AM »
That's hard to answer. It all depends on what you want the car to be, how much you're willing to spend, what work you can do yourself, what your future plans include, etc...

That appears to be an aftermarket 600CFM square bore Holley, which is an adequate carb for most small blocks. Going by the missing oil filler tube, I'm going to assume the engine (or maybe just the intake) isn't original so getting it back to a more stock configuration would include taking care of these things first. If the car started life as an L30 or an SS-350, it would make it a little more valuable installing the original intake and Rochester Q-Jet carb. However, if it started life as an LF7, then not so much.

Rebuilding Holley carbs is pretty straight forward and fairly easy, but I don't know what your capabilities are. The Q-Jet is also an easy carb to rebuild, so it's soup or nuts.

If you want it to "look" stock, go with the Q-Jet. If you never plan on removing the air cleaner, no one will notice so stick with the Holley.

Ultimately, it's your decision.

Ed

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:06:28 AM »
OK, sounds good.  I'll probably keep the Holley and rebuild it if need be.

Thanks

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 12:54:01 PM »
your intake manifold may be for the square-bore Holley

The Q jet is a spread-bore carb and would need a spread-bore intake

I would rebuild the Holley but keep an eye out for a date coded 1967 intake and carb for it

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
your intake manifold may be for the square-bore Holley

The Q jet is a spread-bore carb and would need a spread-bore intake

I would rebuild the Holley but keep an eye out for a date coded 1967 intake and carb for it

That sounds like the best advice. Btw, in your engine picture, it appears the A/C belt is very close to cutting your rubber fuel line. I suggest you may want to re-route it closer to the engine.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

anything