Author Topic: REAR END DATE  (Read 21565 times)

waynechipman

• View Profile
Re: REAR END DATE
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
Haha that is pretty funny, We can agree to disagree. I was merely trying to point out how prevalent the copying has become. I have no paperwork on my car except a tiny corner of the build sheet. But I know for a fact it is a true car simply missing the original engine. I have traced owners back a bit and none had reason to lie. But that does no good for proof. But my date coded 12 Bolt posi says it all when shortly after banging second I am momentarily debating wether to keep counter steering or back off the throtle to keep her out of the ditch. Of course counter steering wins out every time. I wish I would spot more on the road. but I only take mine out once in awhile, I cannot drive it without constantly burping the gas. My Wife will not ride with me in it. It is such a blast. Funny thing though what matters most to me on these cars is the original shell being untouched. 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 05:59:41 AM »
I'm not following your reasoning Wayne.
Real paperwork is the best documentation. Just gotta be able to ID the real stuff.
Kurt S
CRG

basecoupe#79

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 03:29:03 PM »
Well now that I know that the PoP, the bill of sale, the build sheet that I removed from the tank were all probably painstakingly reproduced by the original owner (so she says) in Long Beach is fake!!  Thanks Wayne for cluing me in on the paperwork scam.  Any body out there want to buy my cloned base coupe?  I'll be straight up front with you, the paper work probably isnt original.  Here's what my PoP says: Engine was built in Tonowanda, Jan 17 1969, DD engine. Rear axle is PA dated Jan 17 1969 at Chevy gear and axle. Vehicle was built in Feb 1969, Tranny built in Jan 9 1969, N40,J50,U63, 552 , and C60. :'(

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 03:49:59 PM »
Your engine dates and other dates all match up to say they are original components. I never said all paperwork was fake. But I can have duplicated any and all paperwork for these cars. So who is to say any paperwork you found is original. And You are right who would waste time to duplicate paperwork on a base Camaro, does not make sense as the original running gear on a base coupe only changes value very slightly, duplicating the paperwork on a base coupe would cost more than the increase in value it would bring. And as far as identifying rhe fake papers, I guess if you are a scientist with all the equipment you need to spot a good forgery then it wouldn't be to hard. Paperwork is not the answer to the originality of these. Date coded parts are.  Like I said before get G.M. to verify what you have by your VIN if you have any luck doing that please let me know as it would increase the value of mine tremendously.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 05:38:08 PM »
My '69 RS, 01C build, base coupe, has a non-posi 2.73:1 rear end, code BP, built 10/18/68 at the Detroit Gear and Axle Plant.  My car went through final assembly somewhere around the 19th or 20th of January 1969 at the Norwood assembly plant.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »
Strange things can happen, though.

Besides my 69 RS coupe, the other car I have is a 66 Chevelle which has been in the family since it was first purchased on March 30,1966.  I have all of the original documentation including protect-o-plate and have verified all of the numbers when the car was restored between 1995 and 2000.  I even found a date code on the frame.  Point is that everything is within a couple of weeks of the mid March 1966 build date at the Flint, MI assembly plant, except for the rear axle which is date coded Oct 1965.  Axle date code, etc and POP totally agree.  The rear end was build at the Buffalo Gear and Axle Plant and obviously set around somewhere before it made the trip to final assembly.

The issue of rear axle date code, what is correct, what isn't, what can be, what can't, etc. has come up multiple since this string back in 2005.  I never got back to posting picutres which show what I had menntioned in the quote above (previous post in this thread).

The 1st picture is the axle code from my 69 RS.  The car has a 10-Bollt, 2.73:1 open, mono-leaf rear end.  Although I don't have any of the original documentation on my car, hard to believe that this isn't the original axle.  The code is BP 10 18 G1; i.e. October 18, 1968.  My RS is an 01C Norwood built car.  2nd and 3rd pictures show the ring gear in my rear end.  15 and 41 are the number of pinion and ring gear teeth; i.e. 41/15 = 2.733.  The date code is the last two numbers; i.e. 9 68 (Sept. 1968).

As an addendum to the information that William provided in post #9 of this thread, and yes I know what I'm about to state is in reference to my '66 Chevelle and not the '69 RS, but it is still a Chevy product from the last half of the 1960's.

The 4th picture is the axle code from my '66 Chevelle.  Picture is a little old and fuzzy, taken back in 1995 just after I had removed the rear end back when I was restoring the car.  The axle code is CB 1027 B which is a 10 Bolt, 3.36:1 open rear end; October 27, 1965 date code.  Although I don't have any original documentation on the Camaro, the Chevelle has been in my family simce my grandparents purchased it on March 30, 1966 from El Bauer Chevrolet in Decatur, IL  I have all the original paperwork for the Chevelle including the POP which confirms the rear end code.  The Chevelle was built at the Flint, MI plant in mid March 1966 (based on other date codes on the car including one on the frame).  For whatever reason, the 3:36 rear end in the Chevelle was in stock at the Flint plant from early November 1965 until it went into my Chevelle in March 1966; some 4-1/2 months.

Based on the axle code on my Camaro, that rear end was in stock at  Norwood from mid-October 1968 until mid January 1969; approximately 3 months.

Based on my own two observations as well as what William stated above, it looks like axle codes can have more of a time differential between axle code and car assembly date than what would normally be considered acceptable.

Just throwing this out for what it's worth.

Richard
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:06:24 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
Still depends a lot on the year and the model.  Less common vehicles for that year or even time of year have been known to have larger spreads.  But you can't say that for all cars.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »
Oct 68 built 1969 Z28.
Cowl Tag 10D
VIN falls first week of November
Axle Oct 31  BV 4.10
Trans Oct 18th  M20
Engine V1007DZ
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
Still depends a lot on the year and the model.  Less common vehicles for that year or even time of year have been known to have larger spreads.  But you can't say that for all cars.
 I agree with this statement. I would think the standard gear and rear date stamp (if no optional were ordered) would be close in dates being the inventory was used at a faster rate.
  The two L35 Camaros I have with original rears are one 'BJ' rear (3:07) stamp dated 0404 for a LOS 4B (April 13th per UOIT) dated trim tag and that is the standard gear ratio rear with this model so I can see how the rear date stamp is close to the body born date on the trim tag by almost 2 weeks. The other 67 rear is a 'QK' (3:31) stamp dated 0331 for a NOR 5B dated trim tag and that is the optional performance gear ratio rear. So, I can see how that can sit in inventory longer before getting pulled and in this case it was close to 6 weeks. Also, per John Z., there was no mandatory rule for using items by their date codes unlike in the food industry.

Mike

*fixed quote*
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:10:37 PM by KurtS »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored