Author Topic: REAR END DATE  (Read 21561 times)

4myz

• View Profile
REAR END DATE
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:17:05 PM »
HOW CLOSE IN DAYS DID THE REAR END CODE( THE STAMPED DATE CODE) COMPARED TO THE CAR DATE ???

shift1313

• View Profile
Re: REAR END DATE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:08:21 PM »
i think in general they were a few weeks before the date of the body but could be earlier then that, up to several months or more maybe.  I cant find the info on this but i know i read it some where.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:50:24 PM »
Depends on the year and the model.....
Normally pretty close.
Kurt S
CRG

4myz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:28:26 AM »
1969 camaro 01C car build with a b BU 1218G2 rear diff is this close enough?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 07:30:49 AM »
Close enough for what? To be reasonable, yes.
To be original, no. Not for that build date.
Kurt S
CRG

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 08:02:47 PM »
Usually within a couple of weeks any further out and I would start getting suspicious

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 11:00:58 PM »
Strange things can happen, though.

Besides my 69 RS coupe, the other car I have is a 66 Chevelle which has been in the family since it was first purchased on March 30,1966.  I have all of the original documentation including protect-o-plate and have verified all of the numbers when the car was restored between 1995 and 2000.  I even found a date code on the frame.  Point is that everything is within a couple of weeks of the mid March 1966 build date at the Flint, MI assembly plant, except for the rear axle which is date coded Oct 1965.  Axle date code, etc and POP totally agree.  The rear end was build at the Buffalo Gear and Axle Plant and obviously set around somewhere before it made the trip to final assembly.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 09:14:26 PM »
Rare but it does happen sometimes, and even if someone shattered the original and somehow found one that close, It would not hurt your originality at all when you have paperwork that backs up what the car had. When you have a stamped block and different tranny and then a 12 bolt rearend that isn't close on dates, You can start banking that it did not have a twelve bolt to begin with. Even way back people understood the value of havig a 12 bolt in their car. I would rather have a mismatched engine than a mismatched 12 bolt.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 11:35:59 PM »
In my experience much of what people assume about drivetrain date codes relative to the car is incorrect.

Our 06E '67 Z/28 had a July 6 engine, a March 20 rear axle and a June 23 trans. All OE components, POP to back it up. A good thing too since conventional wisdom would have people believing the axle was not original. The car also had its original alternator dated December 1966.

A fluke? Nope. I have the POP from a friends' long-lost 06A L78 car:  April 29 engine, May 6 axle, March 14 trans.
Learning more and more about less and less...

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 02:35:30 AM »
67 I do not know about but every original 69 I have seen so far had a very close axle date to build date. And by 69 it is definately rare for a engine to be dated after build date but it can happen. Just very rare

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 06:24:27 PM »
For the 1969 model year there were 243,085 Camaros manufactured. Do not form opinions about them because you've looked at 50 cars.

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 04:48:29 AM »
To tell the truth I have looked at a lot more than fifty and as POP and Build sheets and cowl tags are all being reproduced and doctored to look old. I put a lot of stock into the parts having dates that are reasonable. Any Camaro witha rearend more than a couple weeks out from build date makes me figure that things got changed. No Company or Person has such abundant storage that they would stockpile parts that are daily being assembled into cars. The smaller the part the more likely it might have an older date from getting pushed to the back of a shelf. Rearends are a pretty big item though. Engines would more likely be shoved to the back than a rearend. I dont know how many supposed Z/28s I have seen sell with the X codes and then you see a three speed hole in the floor. You could show me all the paperwork on earth and that would do nothing to convince me what You have. There are no original SS or Z/28 Cars in existence only way You can discern these Cars is by how much they match the factory image. Just send a letter to GM with Your VIN and see if they will tell You what Your Car is. Sorry to be that way but I have seen so much BS concerning these cars it aint even funny. Give me enough money and I will get You any paperwork on any Camaro.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 04:45:09 PM »
Any Camaro witha rearend more than a couple weeks out from build date makes me figure that things got changed.

So you are stating that the 2 owner 67 Z/28 with POP and 100% OE drivetrain, purchased in 1987 long before repro anything is bogus because you say so.

So you are stating that the 2 owner 69 L78 with POP and OE drivetrain, purchased in 1981 long before repro anything is bogus because you say so.

As for SS cars, the 3-speed floor shift was standard equipment.

You need to learn the difference between fact and opinion. When you have some facts feel free to share them.

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 06:12:31 PM »
I said Z/28 with 3 speed hole in floor, no Z/28s came with a 3 speed unless You know something I don't about Z/28s. And Yes back in 81 and 87 people were cloning these just wasn't as well known. And like I said no one can convince me of the originality of any Paperwork. If You give me enough money I can get You any paperwork on any Camaro. When GM will say in writing what any Camaro is then I will believe that. Untill that day the only measure of any Camaro is how much it matches the factory image and all should be sold as such. Give me any V8 non air Camaro with column shift or 4 speed hole in floor and I can Make you a Z/28. Any shifter position and including air cars and I can make You any SS model You want with as much paperwork as You would like. My point is why would your paperwork be any more convincing than anyone elses paperwork, technology, has advanced far enough that anything made in the 60's can be reproduced. Shoot by 1974 when anyone should have realized that all American Cars had turned to pieces of plastic garbage, people were starting to clone these. I should know as 69 Camaros were still to expensive for the average kid by the late 70's And by 1979 the 74 and up Camaros were a dime a dozen

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 06:17:45 PM »
Ok now I understand.

Every Camaro with paperwork is a fake 'cuz Wayne sez so.

anything