CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 04:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105775 Posts in 12347 Topics by 4759 Members
Latest Member: RSSSFanatic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Decoding/Numbers
| | |-+  decoding rear gear numbers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: decoding rear gear numbers  (Read 5500 times)
dab67

67 SS

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 07:42:14 AM »

Jerry:

So it is possible the rearend came from the factory this way? I really can't see someone switching out the rear gear for something like that. Going from a 3:08 to 3:56 or 4:10 yes.

Dave
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 08:40:27 PM »

Dave,

If the housing date and R&P date fall in line with the build of your car, I'd say it's correct.  I read your earlier posts and I'm not sure how you were coming up with such an odd ball reading on the tire turns vs drive shaft turns. 

Jerry
dab67

67 SS

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 04:55:18 AM »

Jerry;

I was only turning one tire, (driver side rear) when I was counting the revolutions of the driveshaft. Did not know I had to turn both tires at the same time to get the correct revolutions. I could have sworn I have seen posts (maybe not here in CRG) that to check your rear end gearing you jack up one side of the rear end, put your car in neutral mark the driveshaft and tire you are turning and rotate the tire one complete turn while counting the revolutions of the drive shaft. This would give you the ratio. 1:to whatever the drive shaft turned.

Dave
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »

That's true, but only if you have a functional Positraction diff (so both axle shafts turn together with both tires off the ground); with an open (non-Posi) diff, you have to turn both tires together.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: