Author Topic: Rally Sport brackets, light housings, vacuum tank - correct finish colors?  (Read 2898 times)

Hans L

• View Profile
Getting ready to refinish the following Rally Sport parts - seems all are various hues of black.

Is 30% Gloss Black correct for these parts?  (See pic below)
- Support Brackets (both small and long ones)
- Bell Crank Lever
- Headlight housing
- Vacuum Tank

And it seems the headlight bucket is more glossy - 60-70% or?

Can anyone confirm what's best to go with for the above?

https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Rally Sport brackets, light housings, vacuum tank - correct finish colors?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:56:33 AM »
Getting ready to refinish the following Rally Sport parts - seems all are various hues of black.

- Bell Crank Lever
- Headlight housing
- Vacuum Tank

Hans, based on the original finishes I studied I’m planning to

- Bell Crank Lever
- Headlight housing
- Vacuum Tank

Can anyone confirm what's best to go with for the above?

[URL

Can anyone confirm what's best to go with for

Hans, based on the original finishes on the RS components I’m restoring, I’m intending to paint the parts 30% gloss black except the inner headlight buckets and the vacuum tank that will both get 60% gloss black. Missing from your photo are the (2) support rods and (2) door hinges that will also receive 30% gloss black. I could be convinced otherwise but that’s my current plan.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
Lloyd -

Appreciate the quick response!   Good catch on the vacuum tank - as mine was quite faded, I was unsure of the gloss level.

Here's the other parts.  Regarding the door hinges - as they are aluminum or some non-ferrous metal, I wasn't sure if they are painted.  I'll check to see if I have any pics prior to cleaning to confirm paint.

Here's the additional parts.  Not shown are the body colored grill covers (in yet another box....)

And almost forgot about these two little door stop brackets (still on the core support), only one show in the pic below.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
Hans, the RS door hinges on my former 69 RS/Z survivor were painted 30% gloss black. I researched this subject some time ago and I have observed the same paint treatment on other RS’ however with some, infrequent exceptions where the hinges were unpainted. It’s also possible these were replacement parts due to front end collision damage repairs. The small firewall mounted stop brackets were also 30% gloss black and the attaching bolts are silver zinc. The rubber door stop bumper is unpainted.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »
OK.  Thanks for the updates.

I could be convinced the hinges were black originally - some pics pre-resto where it appears to have been black.   Note - surface rust on the housing cleaned right up.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »
Good photos. It probably deserves to be stated: the slotted middle layer of the RS doors which is pot metal and forms part of the support structure should be natural / unpainted.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »
Hans, during disassembly did you find any RS headlight shims and if so would you post a photo. These are rarely seen in captivity and it’s not clear to me what was used at the factory on a consistent basis.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:39:17 PM »
Hans, during disassembly did you find any RS headlight shims and if so would you post a photo. These are rarely seen in captivity and it’s not clear to me what was used at the factory on a consistent basis.

Hmmm....I don't have a pic, but I'll check my tagged bags and see if I have any noted as RS Headlamp shims.   

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »

Hmmm....I don't have a pic, but I'll check my tagged bags and see if I have any noted as RS Headlamp shims.   

Hans, not to wander too far off topic however here's the only photo I have of RS headlight bucket shim (that appears to be original)
by ,

anything