Author Topic: 67 SS hood louvers  (Read 1895 times)

G-Law

• View Profile
67 SS hood louvers
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »
Hey guys this is my first post, I have a 67 rs Camero with a plain hood, I have a spare hood and want to install the slotted cooling fin type hood jewelry vents that came with the SS.
Did the 67 SS hood have dimples for placement of the ornaments or were they just bolted on to a regular hood like mine?
Also were they bolted on or riveted?
Considering using the 3m stick on type to avoid holes in the hood unless someone has seen them and they look cheesy or weird.
Thank you.😊

adjudimo

• View Profile
Re: 67 SS hood louvers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »
The 67 SS came with a hood that had recessed/sunken reliefs (dimples) in the hood that the fins/louvers sit down in. These areas have holes in them for the studs on the back of the louvers to go into. The louvers are bolted onto the hood with mounting nuts. Capture nuts I think their called. A gasket goes in between the louver and the hood.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »
Also, later Novas used the same insert along with another bottom base piece that was a chrome border.  Contrary to what some vendors claim, the 67 Camaro just used the finned insert along with a gasket.  You cannot fit the Nova extra piece on a Camaro SS hood.

You can look at vendor websites and see the difference in an SS hood for the grilles.

I would not try to adhere those heavy grilles to a standard hood by busting off the studs and using some adhesive product.  If they ever let loose your paintjob or windshield would be damaged.  I'm not sure the curvature of a standard hood would allow you to drill holes and bolt on the grilles.           

G-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 04:38:09 AM »
Ok great thank you.....crappy though now I have to find a 67 ss hood...
As I’ve heard most repros suck.

anything