Author Topic: Weird numbers on transmission & POP plate  (Read 3443 times)

droy94

• View Profile
Weird numbers on transmission & POP plate
« on: August 29, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
Hi all,
I am starting to restore my '68 and have been looking into the codes on the car. In particular, I am confused about the transmission. According to the POP plate, the transmission should be a 3 speed Saginaw as the code starts with an S. What's actually in the car is a 4 speed Saginaw as I confirmed from the casting code on the housing. I have not been able to locate the transmission code on the housing in the car so I am not sure what that says yet.

We are only second owner and are fairly certain it has never been swapped out after purchase from the dealer. Also, the stamped VIN on the Saginaw matches the body, engine, and POP plate. So I am fairly confident the transmission is original.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Weird numbers on transmission & POP plate
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »
You'll need to post pictures of the transmission stamp and the POP for us to comment.

Ed

droy94

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »
You'll need to post pictures of the transmission stamp and the POP for us to comment.

Ed

Attached are the photos of the mentioned codes.

droy94

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:19:10 PM »
Sorry the POP didnt go through for some reason

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »
The transmission casting date appears to be L-12-??, and I can't tell if the VIN is factory since it's out of focus, but from what I CAN see, it appears like it may just be a typo on the POP. But having a mid February transmission in a late June car is very strange! Especially a Saginaw.

Ed

droy94

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
The transmission casting date appears to be L-12-??, and I can't tell if the VIN is factory since it's out of focus, but from what I CAN see, it appears like it may just be a typo on the POP. But having a mid February transmission in a late June car is very strange! Especially a Saginaw.

Ed

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with this transmission. Still haven't been able to find the transmission code on the body yet but the VIN I can make out is 455013 which matches the body, engine, and POP. Don't have a better picture on my phone right now unfortunately.

I suppose if I can locate the stamp on the transmission and the code is identical apart from the S at the beginning then that could point towards dealer error?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:39 PM »
I suppose if I can locate the stamp on the transmission and the code is identical apart from the S at the beginning then that could point towards dealer error?

Yes, if the stamp on the transmission is R8B15, and it's a FACTORY stamp, you're golden.

Ed

droy94

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »

Yes, if the stamp on the transmission is R8B15, and it's a FACTORY stamp, you're golden.

Ed
[/quote

How would I know if it's a factory stamp?

We've had the car in our possession since the early 80s with the same tranny and I don't know why someone would stamp a code into it back then as it wouldn't add value to the car.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 10:40:06 PM »
We've had the car in our possession since the early 80s with the same tranny and I don't know why someone would stamp a code into it back then as it wouldn't add value to the car.

Sure it would. To most, a 4 speed car is worth more than a 3 speed car. Even a Saginaw!

But that's not the only reason engines, transmissions, rear ends, etc... are swapped.

Ed

droy94

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 11:21:08 PM »

Sure it would. To most, a 4 speed car is worth more than a 3 speed car. Even a Saginaw!

But that's not the only reason engines, transmissions, rear ends, etc... are swapped.

Ed

I understand why someone would swap the tranny with a better one but why back then would you go through the trouble of stamping the VIN on a replacement?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 11:38:08 PM »
Certainly. People have been faking these cars since they were introduced!! But in this case, I highly doubt the car left the factory with a 3 speed manual. I think you'll find that when you find the suffix, it'll be factory correct.

Ed

droy94

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 03:02:44 AM »
Found the code on the housing today. Indeed is stamped R8B15. Will be a little fun fact to show the incorrect POP plate once she's restored at shows.  8)