Author Topic: 1969 Camaro brake metering valve  (Read 10041 times)

Wallace

• View Profile
1969 Camaro brake metering valve
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
I have an origonal '69 ss 396 with front disk, rear drum brakes.  I am servicing the brake system and got to the metering valve, which is inline with the front disk lines and is attached behind the master cylinder.  I am going to rebuild the unit from a kit I ordered from Heartbeat City.  My problem is that when I disassembled the valve I didn't account for spring pressure and parts came loose before I could account for their location.  Does anyone have a schematic diagram or description for the assembly of this unit?
Any help would be appreciated.

Wallace

I found this link that answered my question.

http://home.pacbell.net/camsdad/Brakes/DSC03368.JPG

Maybe this will help someone else.

Wallace
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:01:00 PM by Wallace »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro brake metering valve
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
Mine quit working too and needs to be rebuilt, but I haven't gotten around to it yet; here are a couple of photos I grabbed a year or so ago of disassembled metering valves, but I don't know which one shows the correct parts sequence. Let us know how your rebuild goes and if your kit has the right parts in it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »
Thanks for the photos JohnZ.  The top one illustrates the workings of my valve.  I removed this valve several years ago because it was leaking, and replaced it with an adjustable  proportioning valve....not a good idea.  I am glad I saved the original brake lines and bracket.  After I freshen up the rubber it should be an easy install.   I will keep you posted.

Wallace

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:36:30 PM »
Here is yet another shot of the guts, this one was just disassembled and I was carfull to lay out the parts in order.
Wallace, a question about the kit from Heartbeat. What all is in the kit? Does it include the small cup seal that seals the shaft at the back of the valve ?
                            Thanks Mike

X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

Wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »
Thanks for the photo Mike.  That is the identical valve that I have except I do not have the washer or the cup seal which go on the back end.  The kit I ordered from Heartbeat City was for the other style metering valve, so I sent it back.  They told me that they didn't have the kit for my style valve...bummer.  I guess I will keep looking for one.

Wallace

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:39:05 AM »
I got my metering valve (the round one) done by Karp's Brake in So. Cal. (909)985-0800 for $65.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »
I got my metering valve (the round one) done by Karp's Brake in So. Cal. (909)985-0800 for $65.

Does it work properly after the Karp's rebuild? My original is apparently stuck open, as I have big-time nosedive when braking, especially at low speed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 02:59:13 PM »
Works fine as far as I can tell. No braking problems at all.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

anything