Author Topic: Black speaker covering material.  (Read 3071 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Black speaker covering material.
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:32:38 AM »
I ordered a replacement dash speaker that has two 4" speakers instead of a single. This one doesn't have the black translucent material covering the speakers. Does anybody know what the material is and where I can buy it. Thanks

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Black speaker covering material.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:50:41 AM »
Victoria Secret?

I agree this is a good question.

I have resorted to swap meets and picking up cheap speakers to harvest the "fish net covers".

A commercial NEW source would be neat, I wonder if the Jackson Speaker service retails this stuff or only can include it with a speaker re-cone job?

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 04:30:33 PM »
I live in Salt Lake City, and had my speaker reconed by a guy who does that as a side job. Actually found him on Ebay. he also installed the new screen mesh over the top like the originals. I sent him a message on ebay on what he'd charge for that and if he'd just do the mesh. If I get a response, I'll try and connect you to him. Thanks
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 07:50:47 PM »
Vigoro black Weed Control Fabric, sold in the gardening area of the big box stores and nurseries is pretty close, however it probably comes in a 25 or 50 foot roll.  Probably a few other other landscape fabric brands as well.  Some heavy duty types are more like woven plastic strands and not suitable.

Another option might be to go to a fabric store like JoAnn's and look for a thin black cotton fabric.

Victoria's Secret should be a last resort, unless you're looking to get divorced, or are comfortable explaining to your spouse why you are coming home with black lacy panties  ;D

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »
After rechecking a old speaker, I'm leaning towards a Very thin piece of black felt(if I can find the appropriate thickness), similar to what you might find on pool table. It may not be as translucent, but after 50 years I'm not sure what it was originally.

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:35:26 PM »
I did get a response from the guy locally that did mine and he said he'd use a stretch nylon cloth and he charges about $20, plus shipping the speaker back to you. If you're interested his name is Matt and Utah Reconing is the company. Thanks
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
Plain paper towel......spray it black....done.

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 12:05:40 AM »
I like Pete's solution.  Its cheap. easy, correct enough and I doubt you'll get any point deductions for it if that's what you're shooting for.
Bill Garrett

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 07:16:30 PM »
I found this material that looks close enough considering it will be under the dash. There are a couple imperfections where the glue seeped through., but I can live with it. Thanks for the replies.

Paul

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 01:02:39 AM »
I went to a fabric store and found some very thin sheer black material and bought the minimum amount. It probably cost a couple of bucks at the most and worked great!

Dave

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 01:33:18 AM »
I believe the material I used is nylon. The wife bought a Shark vacuum that include a black draw string bag for the extra utensils. In todays venacular I re-purposed it.

anything