Author Topic: Best reproduction Bumper?  (Read 3207 times)

uscrichter

• View Profile
Best reproduction Bumper?
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »
I am getting ready to order front and rear bumpers for my '68 and willing to pay up for the best quality but I am sure confused to see the descriptions and prices all over the board, for example Heartbeat City offers two, the first one says concurs quality for $332 and the second one says OEM quality for $159 , I want my project to be as close to factory as possible because it has almost all original or NOS parts, any suggestions advise or experience with these would be appreciated before I order them.   

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Best reproduction Bumper?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Here's some questions. Why are you buying aftermarket bumpers when you say most is NOS  or original? Why not redo your originals?...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
You know how it is with repro parts; There's always something a little off.  Since you're shooting for original factory quality,  you could look for a good original bumper and have it rechromed.  I did that with my 69 after returning two repro bumpers and, while it is pricier to do, you'll never have to worry about the fit and quality.
Bill Garrett

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 09:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it! and go with re chromed originals. I just figured from the after market claims that the quality might be as good if not better, but sounds like from the feedback that's not the case.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:13:28 PM »
 I bought an AMD 67 (only) front bumper for my '67 just to start showing the car. It is the only one with the extra hole for the outside lower bracket mount. For $95 w/discounts, it is flawless. Smooth surface, excellent chrome and fit. But....on the  inside and if you know where to look, it has a vendor's code engraved lightly into the metal. If the chrome should fail years down the road, I will get this re-chromed and will ask to have the engraving removed because the core is so good.
Now....the rear bumpers....that's a completely different story. I have yet to find a vendor that sells a halfway decent bumper. The fit is good, the chrome is good, but the metal surface prep can be wavy. And some have the center bracket welded and chromed. I have an original that's in good shape and will send that out eventually.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 09:33:13 PM »
You can purchase rechromed original bumpers from several companies that take cores, and rechrome them for resale. I was at Carlisle a couple years ago and there were 2 company's selling rechromed original bumpers. You have to make sure you get one for a 68. The companies don't always differentiate between 67-68 unless you specify. One was in California I believe, I don't recall there name.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »
So after the responses I checked a couple of sites for re-chromed bumpers and noticed that Camaro Specialties offers them , I could have mine rehomed but the closest that has that capability is in El Paso which means it will take weeks for the turn around and would like to finish my project before the cold weather strikes, has any of you tried their re-chrome bumpers? 

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
Just make sure they know you want a 1968 front bumper. Lots call them 67/68 but both are different...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 10:48:21 PM »
Will do! Thanks!

anything