Author Topic: Caveat Emptor...another repro tag?  (Read 2367 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Caveat Emptor...another repro tag?
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-Coupe/133149890080?hash=item1f005a1620:g:yocAAOSwSe1dYFGa&vxp=mtr

124379N653177

RS with an X55 tag

From the ad:

Real and rare Black (code #10) over Black vinyl (code #711) car. Only 1.7% of Camaros were produced in Black in '69.

Learning more and more about less and less...

sabino56

• View Profile
Re: Caveat Emptor...another repro tag?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
I don’t have enough experience to comment on tag itself but have a general question related to this one and several others posted as questionable.  The rivets. Why would the rivets ever be gunked up in normal aging? My 68 has original tag and rivets are a bit rusty but there’s nothing to gunk them up/ hide them.  If someone had to remove the tag to restore I’d assume documenting the removal / replacement wouldn’t kill value of originality and no need to “age” the rivets.  Are there “natural” aging processes that hide the rivets?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:24:19 PM »
Since the rivets fractured after installation, they had to be sealed to keep engine bay fumes from entering the passenger area. Fisher used seam sealer to fill the rivets and there are differences in application technique over the production span. Over time, the sealer may harden and fall out. So these days some cars no longer have sealed rivets.

It is difficult to duplicate the original appearance of the rivets.
Learning more and more about less and less...

sabino56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 04:57:33 PM »
Thanks!  I didn’t know that. Mine look like normal rivets but I’ll look closer next time to see there is anything sealing the center.  Interesting info, I appreciate it .

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
Mine look like normal rivets...

If yours look like normal rivets, and by "normal" I'm assuming you mean blind rivets like the ones below, then you have a problem!

Ed

sabino56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
I had never looked that carefully at them.  You are right they aren’t “normal” pop rivets.  Whatever sealant which may have been there originally is gone now.   Now it makes more sense why people may “gunk” up rivets when putting a tag on the firewall

I know it hasn’t been messed with as I bought the car from a nieghbor whose yard I mowed as a kid. He was first owner. I’ve owned it since 74.

anything