Author Topic: 67 Electrical Problem  (Read 2178 times)

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
67 Electrical Problem
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
I was connecting an add-on electrical device to the  ign-fused terminal on the fuse block of my 67.  Once everything was connected I turned the key on sending power to the device.  I heard a slight "sizzling" sound in the device indicating a short and disconnected it immediately.  Verified that there was some intermittent contact with an ohm meter.  The fuse didn't blow.  Tested good. 

Now the brake light and under dash courtesy lights stay on.  Dash lights are off.  All worked well before.  Fuses all look good and voltages test good at the fuse box. 

Strangely enough, when I remove that 10 amp fuse at the ign-fused circuit the courtesy lights still stay on but the brake light goes out.  Everything else seems to be working.

Any suggestions?
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 67 Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 01:37:55 AM »
A couple of wires may have melted together under the dash. You're going to have to get up under there with a flashlight and look around.

What were you connecting?

Ed

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
Re: 67 Electrical Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 02:08:51 AM »
I was just adding something to power a dash cam.  I should have said Brake Warning Light on the gauge.  That's what stays on, with the courtesy lights.  Also, I didn't connect to any wires under the dash.  Just the fuse box.  Power from the ign-fused terminal and ground to a screw.  Worked well until I moved the device and heard it shorting out.

Thanks for your assistance.
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover