Author Topic: 68 gas tank basic rehab questions  (Read 1871 times)

sabino56

• View Profile
68 gas tank basic rehab questions
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:55:33 PM »
68 327 basic camaro, hasn't run in about 15 years but was overhauled, running well just a few years prior. I'm starting to do basic restoration to make it drivable, nice looking.

I'm just wanting, at moment, to get it running to make it easier to move around in the garage to work.
I was unable to get gas to fuel pump so I dropped tank, pulled out sender. Fuel line in tank was clogged with what I assume is residue of whatever gas was in tank when I last drove it slowly evaporating over the years.  Tank looks really good inside for as long as it's been sitting. I'm in Tucson, so it's been in a dry environment - so very little to no rust inside. Mostly appears to be varnish like deposits from what I assume is the gas evaporation.

It has a 3/8" sender/fuel line.  I'm unable to find a 3/8" fuel tank screen/filter.  My normal sources Classic only has 5/16", RockAuto has both but both not in stock., Heartbeatcamaro just has one that says it fits everything?.   Any suggestions on source for 3/8" would be appreciated.

Advice on what would be good for inside of tank would be appreciated.  I was thinking I should try something to dissolve some of the varnish but then started wondering if best is to just leave it alone and let it slowly dissolve over time with gas in tank?  Just rinse & blow out - go for now?

Thanks
Ed

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: 68 gas tank basic rehab questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:09:42 PM »
90% of what I order is through HBC, pretty sure the one they show is what I got for the Z. Mine fell apart in my hands. Just give them a call tommorrow to be sure.

I dont know how bad is bad in your tank. Being a career FF, cant advise playing with solvents and blowing it out. Clean your carb, change the filter, run some Lucas through it.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:19:22 PM »
Call Ramon at Redeye Radiator. His number is 520-940-4604 after 8am Friday. He's down by TIA. He can clean your tank. Tell him Joe sent you. I just talked to him...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

sabino56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Thanks for responses!
I called HBC and he pulled one and measured it - it was 3/8" so I have that on the way,
I'll call Ramon today.
Ed

anything