Author Topic: VIN # not registering  (Read 3524 times)

mytwoblues

• View Profile
VIN # not registering
« on: August 04, 2019, 02:04:43 AM »
We've looked at this '69 Camaro SS to buy, but when we tried to look up the VIN, no online database could find any record of this car.  Called my car insurance company to get a quote on insurance, and they couldn't find any matching vehicles either.  The only place that found any information was our county sheriff's office, who could only tell us it hasn't been stolen.  What could be going on here?

VIN # 124379N643145

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: VIN # not registering
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:15:05 AM »
It can be found on this site. Read up...and caveat empter
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=17731.msg161083#msg161083
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

mytwoblues

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
I guess I'm missing something big.  I cannot determine why this VIN will not show any records on any DMV site.  I've read through the explanation of codes, and am still confused.  Can anyone be more specific?  I didn't realize this research group was so cryptic.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:12:51 PM »
Not necessarily cryptic, but very cautious about giving explanations about specific certain details that cause the "caveat emptor" label, or "let the buyer beware", so as not to give any additional help to anyone who might be misrepresenting a car.  We have many good detectives associated with the CRG, very observant and experienced people. 

Concerning early VIN's, the 13 character VIN's of 1st generation cars have, to me, always been difficult to trace compared to later 17 character VIN's - Google has been better at looking the cars up, and then only occasionally. The stolen car database that law enforcement uses will determine just that; Federal Privacy laws govern everything else. Problem has been here for years, one of the reasons why so many misrepresentations are out there, and why we comment on them.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
I researched many COPO VINs back in the '80s. No easy way to do that even back then as there was no uniform state title/registration procedure in those days. Even the Feds had no easy way to do it; some states didn't issue titles [NY] some states registered cars by county [AL]. You had to know the state or county the car was in. If you knew that, for a small fee they would provide the owner of record. That was no guarantee of anything as the car could have been junked w/o title, sold and on an open title, or left the state. There is a Federal MSO registry that logged the state a car was originally registered in, somewhat useless after 50 years.

Also, a title search is different from a registration search. Unregistered cars drop off the file after several years.

The only inquiry an insurance company does is check for a stolen car. There is no way a private individual can research a VIN across 50 states; there are 236 million cars registered in the US. That the VIN isn't showing up is not a red flag.

Be sure to read the post about this car. It has a repro body tag which will affect future value and salability.
Learning more and more about less and less...

mytwoblues

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 10:20:06 PM »
Thank you for those last two posts.  That helps a bit.  I'm wanting a 69 Camaro that will be in my life until I die. We are trying to do as much research as possible before buying.  It seems every one is buyer beware. We're doing the best we can, with a little help from our friends here.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 10:25:31 PM »
Where the 'false tags' come into play (mostly) is IF you are looking to PAY $$ for collectibility.  People fake the tags in order to *fool* someone into paying for a 'false' history/origin of the car.

OTOH, IF you're looking to buy a car to enjoy, then look past the sellers trying to sell you a 'story/history/etc', and just buy/pay for the car and it's parts...  Then it doesn't matter what the cowl tag says or doesn't say, nor what the seller says...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
Fake tag cars are worth less than the real ones when it comes time to buy and sell.  That is the risk. 

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »
It’s my opinion that if someone’s willing to go through the trouble to change trim tag...they most likely would re-stamp block, fake paper work and do what ever it takes to make the car something that it is not.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 04:47:10 AM »
It’s my opinion that if someone’s willing to go through the trouble to change trim tag...they most likely would re-stamp block, fake paper work and do what ever it takes to make the car something that it is not.
I agree. But as stated most of the cars this is done with is a special car (ex: SS, Z/28, Pace car, ) I think there are still many honest cars out there.
The problem I think is the sellers.
Do as much research as you can, and educate yourself about the cars. I would highly recommend to post a VIN, or website link to any car your interested in on this thread, and many guys can help you out and steer you in the right direction. Bentley & William or gave a good heads up on this one.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
Most sellers are honest. There are many ads that mention or show paint flaws or other defects. But ignorance is bliss; sellers are not usually knowledgeable enough to know their car has an incorrect part or two. Always get other opinions. A bud just looked at an LS-6 Chevelle nearby, sitting for about 30 years. He wisely involved others and decided to pass on the opportunity. Not a bad car, just didn't add up.

I only log cars with a VIN listed; just over 1,800 in 3 years. Of those, 136 earned a spot on Caveat Emptor; less than 8%.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
Some people used to and maybe still do transfer a cars papers to states without titles then wait awhile and reregister them in title states for various (not good) reasons.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »
Some people used to and maybe still do transfer a cars papers to states without titles then wait awhile and reregister them in title states for various (not good) reasons.

This may only apply in Nevada, and the law may have changed in the last 10 years, but in 2001 when I moved out here Nevada only required me to register my 69 with DMV.  I was not required to obtain a Nevada title.  So from June 2001 to about 6 years ago my ride had a Louisiana title but was registered in  Nevada with Nevada plates.  I finally decided that I wanted it titled in Nevada as well and did so.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS