Author Topic: Has it really been 50 years??? (Off topic)  (Read 4991 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Has it really been 50 years??? (Off topic)
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:41:50 PM »
Growing up in the 1960's, like everyone else my age, I was a complete space nut! I had maps, with cut-outs of the rockets that I had clipped from various magazines on it just like the real one at NASA, so I could keep track of the current mission as it traveled around the world, and probably 10 or so rocket models hanging from my ceiling! Back then, you could even write to NASA and get all kinds of neat stuff just by asking. I had patches, pictures, data sheets, and other various publicity handouts NASA would issue plastered all over my walls!

During most of that time, my father, a Naval aviator, was stationed in Jacksonville, Florida and Key West, Florida, so when he wasn't deployed, we would go up (or down, depending on where we lived at the time), to Cape Kennedy to watch the current NASA mission lift off. In that time, I personally saw 3 Mercury missions (Mercury MA-6 on February 20th, 1962 with John Glenn, Mercury MA-7 on May 24th, 1962 with Scott Carpenter and Mercury MA-9 on May 15th, 1963 with Gordon Cooper), 4 Gemini missions (Gemini III on March 23rd, 1965 with Gus Grissom & John Young, Gemini IV on June 3rd, 1965 with Jim McDivitt & Ed White, Gemini VII on December 4th, 1965 with Frank Borman & Jim Lovell and Gemini X on July 18th, 1966 with John Young & Mike Collins) and 2 Apollo missions (Apollo 7 on October 11th, 1968 with Wally Schirra, Walt Cunningham & Donn Eiseleand and Apollo 8 on December 21st, 1968 with Frank Borman, Jim Lovell & Bill Anders) lift off from the Cape. Unfortunately, Apollo 11 wasn't one of them, but on that day, like most of the world, I was glued to the TV watching the entire lift off narrated by Walter Cronkite. Yes, the other two networks also carried the missions, but Walter was the best, hands down.

A few days later, huddled in front of our black and white TV at home, we saw Neil land the lunar module on Tranquility Base, and then a few hours later, step off the ladder. At that exact point, I knew mankind would never be the same again.

To the almost 500 thousand people that worked on these projects, I congratulate you all for a VERY WELL DONE!

And to the families of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee, your sacrifices helped make this all possible. They will always be remembered with the highest regard.

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Has it really been 50 years??? (Off topic)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
Agree Ed and well stated! Back in the early 80's I looked at a used Corvette for sale that Gus owned from the GM program down in Florida. Should have purchased it but at the time it was higher than the norm as one might expect.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
Either Ed has a great memory, or great notes to get all those missions and astronauts correct!  :)   His mention of Walter Cronkite was spot on; he was the best 'on air' and most of us listened to him... I was in the USAF from '68 to 72, and was stationed at KAFB when the moon landing was achieved, and somewhere I probably have all the photos distributed by one of our local supermarkets (Delchamps) documenting that mission and the moon landing.

I was too young to work on the space program at that time, but later on I did a couple of projects with Marshall Space Flight Center (Huntsville, AL).  One of my older co-workers once told me about his work at Marshall during those missions; he was assigned to 'babysit' with Walter Cronkite as he apparently spent a lot of time familiarizing himself with the program, people, and equipment.  The Saturn V booster was developed at Marshal and the astronauts spent a lot of time here training(Neutral buoyancy tank, etc) which might have been another reason Walter spent time here.   My friend Ron said that Walter drank a LOT; and sometimes in the evening he would be quite inebriated... which surprised me given his professional demeanor when on the air.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »
LOL. No, it's not that my memory is good (it's NOT), but back then, teachers always wanted reports when you did something out of the ordinary. What you did on your summer vacation, what you did if you took a trip somewhere, what you did if you had to get your tonsils ripped out!!!! etc, etc, etc...

In my case, every time I saw a mission lift off, I had to write a report for class. I'm not even sure teachers still do this, but it was prevalent back then. Unfortunately, I no longer have the reports, but I do remember the mission designations (i.e. Gemini IV), and nowadays, it's an easy task to Google each one. Those missions were the highlight of my youth!

As for Walter being a heavy drinker, I'm not surprised. I think most reporters back in those days were heavy drinkers!

Oh, and here's good ol Gus in his Corvette!

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »
PBS just aired (well last week) a 3 part series on the missions to the Moon.  Very good and a ton of great footage.

PBS American Experience: Chasing the Moon

ss jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:32:53 PM »
I just about overloaded my DVR with Apollo recordings the last few days. PBS, SCI,C-SPAN, Smithsonian channel and others had quite a few shows about the moon landing and Apollo missions in general.. I'm old enough to remember when Shepard was launched and of course Apollo 8 and Apollo 11 kept you glued to the old black and white TV. Unfortunately we could only pick up NBC and ABC, so we didn't watch Cronkite.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:01:06 AM »
I was at Boy Scout summer camp in July '69 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. My Scoutmaster, Ernest "Ernie" Workman actually brought a TV and the ole antenna with him for us to watch as everything unfolded. He had a power DC to AC power converter built into his ole panel delivery truck. I remember us having to turn and move the antenna around to find a good spot for reception.. ( A little to the right, now to the left; hold it! No back that way ). Ernie owned a auto parts store back in the day and always had neat stuff. It was the first time I had seen a power converter. Anyway, good times and I too had the pictures, articles, & models all over my room. And yea, we watched Cronkite.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »
Trivia that very few people know or even remember:

When Neil came down the ladder and pulled the cable to open the camera door so we could all see what was happening, the picture was:

A. Non-existant
B. In color
C. Upside down
D. Of a soundstage at MGM Burbank studios, Hollywood

Ed

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »
Upside down
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »
Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Tell him what he wins Johnny!

(and by the way, if anyone selects D, don't even talk to me!!)

Ed

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »
Trivia that very few people know or even remember:

When Neil came down the ladder and pulled the cable to open the camera door so we could all see what was happening, the picture was:

A. Non-existant
B. In color
C. Upside down
D. Of a soundstage at MGM Burbank studios, Hollywood

Ed

MGM in Burbank? Nope! LOL   MGM was in Culver City. Your probably thinking of Warner Bros. Seriously, the Apollo 11 mission was real, it went to the moon. Years ago, we interviewed Neil and Buzz, two of the most humble down to earth (no pun!) guys I ever met.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 12:30:20 AM »
Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Tell him what he wins Johnny!

(and by the way, if anyone selects D, don't even talk to me!!)

Ed

Ed, you probably wouldn't be surprised to understand the percentage of people that still believe it was staged. I was a big fan of the  space program like everyone else in my hometown seemed to be, and remember when my school got a B&W TV in the library that we could watch launches live on during the school day. Always a thrill - never failed to amaze me (and still does).

My uncle was an engineer at NASA, lived on Merritt Island near the Cape. You could stand in his backyard and see the exhaust plume from whatever the cape was sending up. Unfortunately, he drove an MGB, not a Corvette, but when I saw some of the footage from the control rooms this week it brought back memories of his white long sleeve shirts, vest and dark ties that he wore constantly at work - those guys always looked the part of the professionals they were. Great times -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
I have to say, I just don't think it happened. I too watched it take place at about 8 years old. I know they explained all the flag wave/ no stars/ shadows / footprints without moisture etc. Pretty much everything seemed to have a logical answer. But 250,000 miles away is a pretty long distance for a phone call in the late 60's. But ya never know I guess. Danny

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »

Daaaaannnnnnnnnyyyyy...............
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
As a kid I went to the Smithsonian and got a close up look at one of the Mercury capsules. Even then I noticed that it kind of looked like it was built in some ones backyard shop. Dented all over and really small. It was hard to believe someone was blasted into space in it. Very brave or crazy guys.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition