Author Topic: Passenger door mirror  (Read 2762 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
Passenger door mirror
« on: June 28, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
Too many close calls backing out of my garage.  It's time to install a passenger-side door rear view mirror on my '68.   Checked out various posts, but still not sure exactly how far back to mount it.   Would like to locate it similar to drivers side mirror, but not sure this would give me good side/rear visibility when sitting in the drivers seat.   Any suggestions?

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Passenger door mirror
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 09:53:48 PM »
Sit in normal driving position, get a helper to move the PS mirror fore and aft until you find the best spot, mark it. When I do mine (it's mandatory in my state to have an external rear-view mirror on both sides) I plan to reinforce the door on the inside, locally at the mounting point.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:34:47 PM »
Too many close calls backing out of my garage.  It's time to install a passenger-side door rear view mirror on my '68.   Checked out various posts, but still not sure exactly how far back to mount it.   Would like to locate it similar to drivers side mirror, but not sure this would give me good side/rear visibility when sitting in the drivers seat.   Any suggestions?

You might also look into buying a Scott Drake mirror with a modern convex mirror. I have one on my 69 Chevelle and it is great, especially when driving. Hi quality mirror, check Summit Racing.
Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 10:38:36 PM »
Note that if the passenger mirror is placed in the same position as the driver's side, you really don't get a good angle of view down the passenger side. It is really a two person job to set it for the best view. I repositioned  my dealer installed passenger mirror a little farther back when we repainted about a decade ago. No one has ever noticed it is in a different position than the driver's.
Now if I could just get my wife to quit slamming the passenger door or repostioning "her mirror" so she can see out back...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
Just an FYI....installed the Scott Drake passenger side mirror with convex glass.   Excellent quality.   Have great side view vision by mounting the mirror 5 1/4 inches back.   Classic Industries also sells the Scott Drake.

anything