Author Topic: 67 mono to multi leaf spring conversion questions.  (Read 8909 times)

shore-power

• View Profile
67 mono to multi leaf spring conversion questions.
« on: March 11, 2007, 05:56:17 AM »
Greetings!  This is my 1st post here, Im 40 years old and still have my 1st car I bought when I was 17, a 1967 camaro 327 275HP 4 spd. car.  I bought the car in 1984 and it has remained fairly stock with the exception of some power improvements, cam, carb, ignitions, intake, etc.  The car has mono leaf rear springs has broken 4 different leaf springs where they meet the rear shackle.  My question is have any of you ever upgraded to a multi leaf system like the 68's & 69's had?  How much trouble is this? I know I will have to replace the mounting pads on the rear with the deaper ones for the multi leaf but what else am I in store for here?  I have seen a few conversion kits but if some one has a link to a kit they used /recomend that would be nice as well.. Thanks in advance for your time..

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 67 mono to multi leaf spring conversion questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »
Sorry, I just noticed your question. There are a few aftermarket companies that sell a 3 leaf replacement spring for the mono leaf cars. J.C. Whitney used to sell them for around $100.00 or so for the pair, but that was a VERY long time ago (yes, I'm old), and I'm not sure if they still have them or not.

I believe some of the repop houses sell them, but I'm not sure who. You might want to do a google or yahoo search.

These were originally designed to be a direct swap for the mono leaf springs so no modifications will be required. I've installed them on a few 67's I've owned over the years and it did seem to help the wheel hop issues. That and slapper bars! (Now I'm really showing my age!!)

Good luck on your search...

Ed

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 06:52:05 AM »
Try Eaton Springs  I've used their products with success before and I am currently converting my '67 convertible from mono to three leaf multi as I type ;)http://www.eatonsprings.com/

shore-power

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:50:47 AM »
Thanks.  I have found several 1st gen. stores that sell a 5 leaf conversion kit but I was unsure about the pads on the rear housing etc.  Thanks for the reply though.

Flowjoe:  let me know what you run into with your conversion.  thanks

shore-power

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:47:41 AM »
This air ride 4 link is a slick looking system.  Wonder if it would hold up to hard driving?
http://www.ridetech.com/wizard/results.asp

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:12:58 AM »
National Parts Depot and Classic sales them

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »
I have heard in the past that Classic's springs are not, shall we say,  of the best quality...they may have cahnged but I've no heard of it yet.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:43:19 PM »

Flowjoe:  let me know what you run into with your conversion.  thanks

Will do, should go in over the next week

shore-power

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 03:29:25 AM »
FlowJoe:  Go to the link in my above post and do a vehicle search for the f-body camaros and check out the 4 link, air ride. Man that looks simple to install and has to improve the wheel hop & overall ride.  Wonder if anyone here has made that upgrade?

anything