Author Topic: Quadrajet carbs VS brand X and aftermarket  (Read 2607 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Quadrajet carbs VS brand X and aftermarket
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:15:33 PM »
Boys,
What are your opinions on the Quadrajet carb VS brand X (Autolite/Motorcraft, etc), and the aftermarket (Holley, Carter, etc). Lets compare performance, economy, and reliability.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
Re: Quadrajet carbs VS brand X and aftermarket
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 02:49:17 PM »
my experience with quads is that if its good, it's good. The original quad off my 68 would never idle, 3 carb shop rebuilds, a few home rebuilds and it would never idle. Pulled a quad off a project we had that had not run in decades, just plopped it on the motor and ran perfect. Went to an Edelbrock carb, thats my go to carb for a 4 barrel. Usually pretty close out of the box, only needs a little fine tuning. Have had a dual quad setup on my hot rod for close to 30 years and its been perfect with never really needing any tweaking.  Currently have a holley on it now for a more factory correct look and first went with a correct 780 DZ carb, was too much carb for idle and low RPM but man that thing was a screamer when you went to the floor. Now have a Holley 600 and its a much better carb and the motor still screams. Though my favorite carb when dealing with my older cars is a old Rochester 2GC 2 barrel. I love the look of tri powers and 6x2's so always tinkering with 2GC's. I have found they have been the best all around setups for decent performance, okay fuel economy and killer looks.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Quadrajet carbs VS brand X and aftermarket
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 03:22:08 PM »
Q jet is a great carb for a closed hood driver.  When tuned and set right they can not be beat.  Hard to find the parts and you need to read up on them to tune them.

The Holley is easier to tune because parts are plentiful and simple to work on.  Better choice if you like to tinker around more.

The Holley 750 Vacuum secondary carb is the most versatile and bang for the buck carb in the Holley lineup.  They can be made to work on anything.  This has been the true for years.

Other carbs are inferior to any of the above.