Author Topic: No turn signals or brake lights when lights are turned on  (Read 2699 times)

1stgen68

• View Profile
68 Camaro.I have turn signals and brake lights when I have the lights turned off and when I turn the lights on , I have all running lights, marker lights, front turn signals but no turn signal or brake lights. I've replaced both hd flashers, rear tail lights and assemblies, brake switch and 1157 rear bulbs. I can only drive during the day since I don't need  to have headlights on but  have brake and turn signals

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
Re: No turn signals or brake lights when lights are turned on
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
Is this something that just happened, original wiring, have you been doing any work on the car electrical or other? First thing to check would be to locate all the ground connections and check them.
Jim
68 Z/28

1stgen68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:19:27 PM »
Just got the car a week ago and I didn’t make the previous owner prove that the lights work and discovered when I brought her home. Seems like the wiring has maybe original wiring and some new married together. I was able to figure out my first problem with a ground being loose but don’t understand why everything works but when I pull the light pull switch on the dash I have no brake lights or turn signals. Turn the lights off and all lights work as designed. I’m not sure where else to check for grounds on the car.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
The 67-68 dash cluster is grounded to the body at the top center retaining screw. There is a wire loop at the back of the cluster; the screw must go through the loop. Very common to miss the loop; no ground.
Learning more and more about less and less...

1stgen68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:42:08 PM »
Thank you for the info William!! I’ll see if I can locate it and validate the ground.

1stgen68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
Is that going to be located under the dash pad somewhere or within the engine bay? Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
Not dumb at all. It is the top center screw that retains the plastic dash housing. You may have to loosen the steering column to drop the housing enough to see the wire loop.
Learning more and more about less and less...

pjbizjak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
Check fuses, I once had a similar problem with dash lights and the fuse was the problem.

Pete

anything