Author Topic: All original, upgraded or Frankenstein car?  (Read 2153 times)

MuscleFan

• View Profile
All original, upgraded or Frankenstein car?
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
Hello Camaro fans,

I am new to this forum, and a fan of American musclecars. So I'm on the lookout to buy a Camaro convertible in The Netherlands. I found an imported 1968 V8, originally from NY. Has lots of original papers, including the protecto plate and original invoice. Haven't seen the car for real yet, but I'm going to make an appointment soon.

I decoded the protecto plate, and I think some changes have been made on the car. Engine (327 V8) and colors are correct. As are the options. But I'm doubting the gearbox (it is advertised with a 3 speed, but PoP says 2 speed Powerglide). And the owner says it has a Edelbrock carburator, he thinks is is a 4-barrel. Is that possible on a base 327 V8 2-barrel? And it has a (Holley??) RPM Manifold he says.

The PoP code:

E                       124678N408753  B
V0328ME           PA0322G             4
T8C22                1 4

Are they original or (good) upgrades? Can you tell if other upgrades or changes are made to the engine? I hope you can you tell by looking at the picture. This is what I have so far. Any other need- or nice to know stuff before I check out the car? Like value? Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,
Bram, all the way from Holland  ;)

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
Re: All original, upgraded or Frankenstein car?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
As far as the engine related questions. Yes that is a 4 barrel edelbrock carburetor on a aftermarket aluminum intake. You can easily swap intake to go from a factory 2 barrel to the 4 barrel. The block and heads and intakes all interchange. Along with the intake and carb swap, the valve covers and air cleaner are incorrect as well. The valve covers had to be swapped as they need a oil fill cap as 1968 was the last year there was still a fill tube in the front of the intake that the aftermarket intake lacks. The water pump has also been replaced as factory 327's in 68 did not have the outlet in the top of the housing.

For the transmission (gearbox) it has probably been upgraded to a th350 3 speed. That is a good upgrade over the powerglide.

Also on the exterior of the car, the trim rings on the wheels are incorrect for originality. in 1968 they only ran the dog dish cap, they added a trim rim to the base wheel and tiny cap in 1969.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

MuscleFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! All depends on the actual numbers that I will find on the the block, at least the changes are upgrades as it looks. Not for originality, but for performance it is a plus.

Non-original wheels...that is a bit disappointing, but they look pretty nice this way I think. Let's see, if the price is right. Being able to bring te car back to its origin with all the documents is a plus for me.

MuscleFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »
Bought it! Will be stepping in this car at end of July... Can't wait!  8)