Author Topic: gear reduction starter  (Read 4371 times)

RAS68

• View Profile
gear reduction starter
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:33:15 PM »
I have the hot start problem on my 68 SS 396 with TH400 trans. Its a stock engine with stock compression, but if I have driven it more than 10 miles or so and the engine is warm the starter will not even turn over until it cools off. This is the second stock starter I have had in the car in three years and I am sick of this problem. I am going to put a gear reduction starter in it. My question is which starter is best for the mark IV BB that will bolt right up? I know there are some new gear reduction starters for newer model GM BB but they may not line up correctly. Does anyone have any experience with a Summit or Jegs high torque starter? Any and all suggestions and recommendations are welcome.   
Thanks
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: gear reduction starter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »
I too got tired of having to replace my starter every few months. Even though it had a lifetime warranty, it was still a rebuilt starter that had been rebuilt who knows how many times, so I finally had enough and purchased a "permanent magnet gear reduction" (PMGR) starter. Most are 3HP with a 4:1 gear reduction, so they can handle almost any compression ratio engine!

The technology's been around for almost 30 years now and they're proven, so I highly recommend one of these. The only thing you have to worry about is getting the CORRECT mounting bolts (or studs), because the bolts used on the original starters are a little too small in diameter. Not by much, but just enough that if you use them on the new PMGR starter, it may move slightly during cranking and after a while, the bolts (or studs) may break, or worse, the flywheel teeth may get screwed up.

I got a Skip White Performance starter off of ebay (see receipt attached) because it came with the correct studs, had a lifetime warranty and was a good price (I paid around $75 including shipping). However, I've since found out that they no longer sell this starter, so my "lifetime" warranty is out the window. But it's been almost 8 years since I got it and it's still working perfectly (knock wood), so divide $75 by 8 and even if it dies today, that's less than $10 bucks a year! But even more importantly, I've not had to crawl under the car and remove/replace a 25 pound starter anymore!!

Do a Google search on Chevrolet PMGR starters and you'll find several places where you can get them. You can even get them at your FLAPS if you know what car it originally came on, but like I said before, make sure you get the CORRECT bolts/studs. HERE'S one on the DB Electrical site. Comes with the bolts, but I've not dealt with them before so I don't know if they're actually the CORRECT size. Also note that this is the staggered bolt pattern and I'm not sure if this is the one you need or the straight pattern. Finally, a lot of these starters use a plastic reduction gear set, so see if you can find one with the metal gears. Not that plastic is bad, but metal is better!

Ed

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 01:26:22 PM »
Thanks Bert, I appreciate the reply and the great information. I will check out DB electric. I have read on another Camaro forum that the starter from 1997 or 1998 Chevy 2500 truck with 454 will work on Mark IV 396 and is a PMGR. After your post, I think I may give that a try (and get or modify the correct fitting bolts).
Does anyone else have any experience on these PMGR starters for BB motors?
Thanks,
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
Keep the starter and bolts but add a relay.  Solves the problem and gives you an easy place to hook up a remote start switch for setting valves or other needs.  No factory wires or terminals need to be cut.  Not a factory solution but neither is the PMGR replacement starter. 

Painless Wiring sells a kit if you cant round up the pieces yourself.  Jeg's sells it for $28.99  Part number 764-30202 

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
Allen, Header or No headers?

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
The car is stock with cast iron manifolds.
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 02:04:11 AM »
Here is an update -  I purchased the PMGR starter for 1998 Chevy 2500 truck with big block from Autozone and installed it with one shim and dorman 678-107 starter bolts ( 3/8-16, 4  5/16 inches long). I used relatively thin washer under the bolt heads. This bolt appears to be just the right length for this starter on my 396. So far so good. The starter is quiet and turns over fast and the car starts quick. First test drive and no hot start hesitation or problem. Note - there is no "R" connector on these starters (yellow wire for stock starter). Although the car starts fine, I am going to add the "R" bypass wire to make sure I have full 12 volts to coil during start up. Thanks for the reply's.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR