Author Topic: Pictures: 2019 Camaro Pace Car Homecoming at Indianapolis Motor Speedway  (Read 6448 times)

maroman

• View Profile
Were the dealer pacers the same as the ones used at the track, same options,, etc.?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
It came from somebody back in Ohio who seemed to be an avid buyer and seller of Chevy engines and related parts.  No idea where the car might be.
Jon Mello
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
I wonder what it feels like to go to a car show and EVERY car is like yours :D  Great pics, thanks! 

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Yep, more eye candy, and hopefully some cars for the bucket list!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

z28z11

• View Profile
Were the dealer pacers the same as the ones used at the track, same options,, etc.?

I can't speak about the '67 Replicas, but the '69 Festival and Replica cars could be optioned the same, with the exception of the actual track (pace) cars, which as noted were specially blueprinted 396 cars, with TH400 transmissions. All suspension and drivetrain components were inspected and qualified as part of that preparation process.

The part about the decals being delivered with the cars extended up at least to the '93's - a friend of mine purchased one, boxes in the trunk contained the graphics.

I really wish I could have either taken mine, or at least attended - I spent somewhere over 15 years searching for the right candidate, now 25 years of ownership. Some people think the color scheme is garish, I firmly believe it's just right for the car then and now.

Regards,
Steve 
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

Pacecar

• View Profile
Thanks for the photos. I used a couple of your Canadian Pace car photos from Mount Tremblant in my display book. My car and the one next to me were two Canadian Pace Cars. Both with the rare shoulder harnesses.

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Thanks for the photos. I used a couple of your Canadian Pace car photos from Mount Tremblant in my display book. My car and the one next to me were two Canadian Pace Cars. Both with the rare shoulder harnesses.

That's cool. I wish I could have spent more time looking at the Camaros and their displays.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
I just noticed on the pre-race NBCSN coverage that there are 4 1969 Camaro Indy Pace Cars parked on the exit of pit lane near turn two.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMS

• View Profile
I just noticed on the pre-race NBCSN coverage that there are 4 1969 Camaro Indy Pace Cars parked on the exit of pit lane near turn two.

Funny story.  One of those on track cars had just that weekend been purchased.  The new owner (who I met after the race) was preparing for the parade lap in his "new" car.  The vintage race car that Mario Andretti was set to drive in that ceremony developed a fluid leak, so the officials asked the new owner if Mario could ride in the back of his pace car!   Then hammering it between turn 1 and 2 Mario was yelling at the driver to slow down!

What a cool way to break in your new car.  :)

anything